Panelview to MicroLogix

blmccallum

I am trying to setup a PanelView 600 Plus to work with a MicroLogix 1200 Series C processor using a 1761-NET-ENI Series D ethernet adaptor. The PanelView and adaptor are connected to an ethernet switch.

Adaptor IP - 192.168.1.46
PanelView IP - 192.168.1.47

I can go online with the processor and program the PanelView with my PC via ethernet switch, but I cannot get the PanelView to communicate with the processor.

I have the RSView application shortcut set to the adaptor IP.

I am using the ENI Utility software to configure the adaptor.

I have never used this type of ethernet adaptor so my knowledge about this device is weak.

Any help would be appreciated. If you need more info let me know.

Last edited:
I have the RSView application shortcut set to the adaptor IP.

In the RSLinx Enterprise communication shortcut definition window in RSView Studio, make certain that both the Local and Target tabs have the same shortcut definition.

The COPY button on the RSLinx Enterprise shortcut configuration window copies the Local schema to the Target tab.

Also be sure to "replace communications configuration with project configuration" when you download the application or open it from the storage menu. This replaces the onboard RSLinx Enterprise driver configuration on the PanelView terminal with the configuration that's embedded in the *.MER runtime file.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response Ken.

I did make sure both target and local shortcut settings were correct (several times out of frustration) and that the communication settings were replaced.

I have programmed and integrated several PanelView Plus HMIs, but I've never had this much trouble communicating to a PLC.

Last edited:
The first thing I'd do is verify the RSLinx Enterprise communication configuration by doing a test runtime on the development computer. This also has the benefit of giving you the full FactoryTalk Diagnostics window logging the error messages, if there are any.

I have set up a similar system with PV+400 and 1716-NET-ENI and had no problems.

You'd have to post the *.APA archive file from RSView Studio, the Configuration file from the 1761-NET-ENI, and the MicroLogix *.RSS file from RSLogix 500 for this to be reviewed on the Forum. ZIP them before attaching.

I did try testing the application on my pc. I will work on it for a bit tomorrow, if no success I will provide all of the files. Thanks for the help so far.

What where the results of the test on your PC ? I assume that the Runtime worked (this is the one you start with the "running man" icon, not just the VCR-style buttons for testing a display).

The Display Test function in RSView Studio uses the Local shortcut definition. The Test Runtime function uses the Target shortcut definition.

If the Runtime works on your desktop, then the problem might be in the terminal setup somehow (the IP/Subnet/Gateway definition) or possibly in the PV+ terminal firmware.

You need to delete the ENI in RSlinx and manually add the PLC as a micrologix. I have notes somewhere in my desk where I fixed a similar problem. If this does not help, I will look for them.

Sorry, I haven't been able to work on the panelview lately. Have some other projects that need to be done.

I tried running the program on my PC several times when I originally had the problem. I know how to set up communications in RSView. I have plenty of experience with the software and know how to use it. It's the adaptor I've never used before and believe thats where the problem is.

I will try the RSLinx suggestion as soon as I get a chance. It isn't a very high priority right now. It is a very simple HMI used mainly for status reasons and the machine can run without it.

I will let you know what I find out. Thanks for all of the help so far everyone.