Wonderware Intouch with RSLinx Gateway without OPCLink.

makarandsn

Hi,

I am having RSLinx Gateway and WodnerWare Intouch 10.0.

I want to connect ControlLogix L63 processor with Ethernet IP(1756-ENBT) to Wonderware. I have configured the topic in RSLinx Gateway.

I am trying to connect RSLinx with Wonderware. I tried "RSLinx" as application Name at Access Name Congiguration and put same OPC Topic name as in RSLinx OPC topic configuration with configuration to "Advise All Items". This starts the local RSLinxs serverice if it is not started.

I tried to creat a tag at wonderware Tag database with Created AccessName for the RSLinx OPC and made Item Name as same as TagName in ControlLogix.

I can's see the ControlLogix Tag value at Wodnerware.

I checked the RSLinx Active Topics, this topic is not there at the Active Topic list.

I think there is problem with the following:

01. Application Name at Access Name Configuration at Wonderware.
What is the application Name to be configured at the Application Name at Wonderware?

02. Item Name at Wonderware Tag DataBase.
Does it require to have some Prefix for the Item name Tag definition at Wondwerware Tag Database?

Note that if use OPCLink utility with Wondwerware Intouch and RSLinx it works.

Please suggest.

Thanks,
Makarand

If I select DDE at the Wondwerware InTouch Access Name Congiguration, it starts working.

This means the Application Name is correct at Access Name Configuration where as Item Name may be correct for DDE but not for the OPC.

Please suggest and share your experience.

Thanks,
Makarand

For RSLinx, generally you use the OPC Server registered as:
"RSLinx Remote OPC Server"

Another OPC Server that Linx registers is:
"RSLinx OPC Server"

The remote one is most commonly used, even if on the same machine.

OPC uses a registered name for it's communications, (called the ProgID), not just the image name like DDE does. Try one of those above.

Just out of curiousity, why are you using RSLinx for your IO server rather than DASABCIP WW IO server?

Dear Oakley,

I already have RSLinx Gateway license so want to use it, instead of buyng a DA server driver for RA ControlLogix from Wodnerware Inc.

Thanks,
Makarand

While using Wonderware Intouch Access Name configuration, it does not allow us to put "RSLinx OPC Server" or "RSLinx Remote OPC Server", there it only asks for the applcation name that need to be running when wonderware running in runtime.

If I put RSLinx OPC Server or RSLinx Remote OPC Server at the Application name, It can not communite to RSLinx even in DDE. If RSLinx service is not running it can not start the RSLinx service.

RSLinx Remote OPC is used when the RSLinx OPC server is running at remote computer and local RSLinx is facilitating communication to remote RSLinx with OPC topic configured.

Thanks,
Makarand

I have to second robertmee's suggestion of the DAServer. It is far superior to RSLinx. Prior to having DAServer, we had to use Intouch's OPCLink in conjunction with RSLinx. This maybe the same issue you are having. It was a nightmare and not near as stable as DAServer is these days and a lot of the problems had to do with the instability of RSLinx not OPCLink. DAServer is also much more informative with all the diagnostic information.

You probably don't even have to download it -- the DA server should have been included in your WonderWare CD pack.

Intouch won't work with RSLinx via OPC directly. You will have to select DDE in your access name configuration. If you want to use OPC, use FS Gateway as a middleware.

DaveW said:
Intouch won't work with RSLinx via OPC directly. You will have to select DDE in your access name configuration. If you want to use OPC, use FS Gateway as a middleware.

Thanks for the Reply Dave!

I have OPC Link from wonderware, it works with RSLinx OPC but I am trying to reduce the no of software patches to avoide points of failure. It would be great if RSLinx OPC can talk to Wodnerware InTouch directly as Top Server from Software Tool Box does.

I tried DDE and it works when RSLinx is connected directly to Wonderware InTouch. It seems that RSLinx OPC server can not talk to Wonderware InTouch w/o OPCLink or FSGateway from Wonderware

makarandsn said:
I tried DDE and it works when RSLinx is connected directly to Wonderware InTouch. It seems that RSLinx OPC server can not talk to Wonderware InTouch w/o OPCLink or FSGateway from Wonderware

You are correct. Intouch uses Suitelink (not the same as OPC) or DDE. Like others have mention, use the free DASABCIP driver or other 3rd party drivers that support Suitelink like Kepware, Software Toolbox, etc.

Once you start using Intouch v.10.xx, you need to incorporate system management. You create the active comms link through Archestra SMC, pointing to your IP address defined in DASABCIP I/O slash D/A server to the ENBT.

RSLinx is there to give you the diagnostic interface to trouble shoot your I/O and access names (data producers). Once you have configured your driver in RSLinx, and you can monitor the PLC tags live. This confirms your comms between PLC and PC.

Once you start using Intouch v.10.xx, you need to incorporate system management. You create the active comms link through Archestra SMC, pointing to your IP address defined in DASABCIP I/O slash D/A server to the ENBT.

RSLinx is there to give you the diagnostic interface to trouble shoot your I/O and access names (data producers). Once you have configured your driver in RSLinx, and you can monitor the PLC tags live. This confirms your comms between PLC and PC.

Hello,

RSLInx can not be used directly without using Wonderware provided OPCLink utility for OPC communication.

Some other OPC servers may be used directly as TopServer.

Thanks,
Makarand