Windows 10 updates breaking LabView

No income tax, no capital gains tax. Freedom!
I know tabview is not a PLC but I also know that some of you use LabView for a HMI and data acquisition.

We have at a !@#$% if a time with Windows 10 updating and breaking LabView. We have tried turning the Windows 10 updates off but the updates keep coming.
We have 3 LabView systems that are used for testing circuit boards. This problem is killing production. NI doesn't seem to be much help.

Does anybody have the same problem and if so, have you found a fix for it?

What LV version, and what are the specific KB-updates that breaks (how?) LV?
I know the Spectre/Meltdown patch have done some damage to other systems, perhaps NI have some issues with it too?

Not really a fix but maybe some food for thought.

Have you tried setting the current internet connection to "metered"? That might limit the updates.

Otherwise you can simply unplug them from the internet. No downloady, no updaty.

There are ways of forcing Windows 10 to stop updating. See the attached document - it's from a while ago so may no longer completely apply, but worth a try.

There are also plenty of sites out there that will give you registry hacks and such to stop windows update in it's tracks.

Use Windows 10 Enterprise.

Or remove the gateway in the IP config.

Or block the computers in the firewall from accessing internet.

Or just install Windows 7 or one of the windows server versions.

IMHO production machines shouldn't have internet access at all. And only run "desktop" windows if it's absolutely necessary.

Last edited:
Not a solution to your specific problem, what about running Linux on these machines instead? I realize that it kind of side steps the whole thing and you'd probably rather just stick with windows and fix it. Problem is, I've read many tweaks/hacks/workarounds to try and stop Windows updates, none of them seem to fully get the job done.