Any news on Studio 5000 Designer V34 yet?

My Rockwell rep basically said that Rockwell doesn't want anymore Object oriented features they want to keep the language syntax as simple as possible so Maintenance can understand it.......

That makes no sense. Rockwell hasn't designed for Maintenance in years. They have been driving changes aimed at integrators more than anyone else.

Further several Rockwell people have told me that Rockwell does not view machine builder or SIs as their customers, so they don't care what they want or think. they only view end user's as their customers.

That also makes no sense based on my history. I haven't worked for Rockwell for almost three years, but that goes against everything I saw in my 20+ years there.

Further they are entirely a sales driven Org. Engineering has no say in anything they work on. it is completely driven by what the sales division things will generate more revenue.

Every organization is sales driven. In my experience, the product team was the driving factor. Certainly, Sales pushes for products that their clients need. That happens everywhere.

Is this surprising no, but I just want everyone to know that this isn't speculation, it comes from people that work at Rockwell.

I worked for Rockwell for 20+ years and I have no vested interest in them today. In fact, as a "former" I really don't like them much at all. But all of this sounds fishy to me and doesn't wash with what I hear from my former co-workers. But then again there are always disgruntled current and former employees that have an axe to grind.

OG

That makes no sense. Rockwell hasn't designed for Maintenance in years. They have been driving changes aimed at integrators more than anyone else.

That also makes no sense based on my history. I haven't worked for Rockwell for almost three years, but that goes against everything I saw in my 20+ years there.

Every organization is sales driven. In my experience, the product team was the driving factor. Certainly, Sales pushes for products that their clients need. That happens everywhere.

I worked for Rockwell for 20+ years and I have no vested interest in them today. In fact, as a "former" I really don't like them much at all. But all of this sounds fishy to me and doesn't wash with what I hear from my former co-workers. But then again there are always disgruntled current and former employees that have an axe to grind.

OG

All I can tell you is what they told me :confused:

and give the fact that we haven't seen new Studio 5000 features in years I'll believe it until I am pleasantly surprised other wise.

Rockwell published a technote QA6227 (Turning on Packet logging in RSLogix5000 / Studio 5000) on 1/27/22, detailing how to do so with V34.

More info could be incoming soon.

New technote BF27296 (New V34 Logix date time data types are causing namespace upload to fail, FactoryTalk Linx 6.21)

New Logix data types called out: DT, LDT, TIME32, TIME, LTIME (no details)

Editing AOI & UDT would be great.
We are not allowed to use them often unless it is know that it will never need modified.
Once the machine starts it may never be shut down for years

Another small issue is Auto tune is an added license as of v33
Not that I use it often
It is now a $ 713 add on license as of last week

More details:
Supports the latest hardware:
FlexHA 5000 – High availability Flex IO
New Process instruction support

Improved online/download performance for L8 controllers (about a 40% improvement)

New Data types: TIME32, TIME, LTIME and absolute times LDT and DT
All-time data types are 64bit excluding TIME32.
TIME, TIME32, DT are measured in milliseconds
LTIME, LDT is measured in nanoseconds

Automatic Diagnostic Expansion (AD) – allows for PLC diagnostic information to be sent directly to Rockwell HMI’s

CIP Security Expansion with L8 and 5380 controllers (no details yet)

Logix Designer application SDK – won’t be out until later 2022

Logix Designer application SDK – won’t be out until later 2022

giphy.gif

Also the Time Data Type is awesome except that, it is not compatible with older firmware obviously...... I hate plants that only update like every 4 years. Screw those guys.

Also the Time Data Type is awesome except that, it is not compatible with older firmware obviously...... I hate plants that only update like every 4 years. Screw those guys.

Might also mean some long overdue expansion of the GSV/SSV instruction classes...

@JeremyM

So no other info about the SDK? Just a rumor that it is happening?

I would really really like the ability to encrypt/decrypt, source protection from my own code. It would make my life SOOOOOO MUCH easier.

Last edited: