AB PLCs For Dummies ?

Is there anything besides Allen Bradley manuals to learn from? I'm alread familiar with Square D and Directsoft, but RSLogix and the SLC500 is kicking my butt.

I need something that can explain the addressing methods and labeling and documentation and uploading and downloading and viewing and data manipulation... all the things I can do (with effort) on other PLCs but am really struggling with on AB.

I've got Phil Melore's wonderfully informative tutor, but I need something more dedicated to Allen Bradley. I've downloaded, and even read, some of the AB manuals but I'm still lost. The "Addressing Reference Manual" doesn't help me understand some of the logic already running in my workplace.

Well as usual thank you for your time and help;
Frank

PS: Please forgive me if my English and spelling isn't perfect. I went to a public school.

What logic seam to be the problem? Some instructions can be difficult
to grasp, but don't worry, there is plenty of time. To comment ladder logic, try right clicking in front of the rung or on address you wish to document.

Memory is organized in files such as B3, T4 and N7.
B and N files have same structure, only difference is default presentation of value - decimal or binary.
To address one element of the file, specify file name and element number separated by column. For example, N7:3 represents file N7 and
fourth elemend (starting to count from zero).
To get down to bit level, simply attack slash and bit number
such as
N7:10/0
N7:10/1
N7:10/2
N7:10/3
N7:10/4
N7:10/20

Well the last one was trick. there are only 16 bits in one element
(0-15) so if you enter value 20 it will be converted to N7:11/4

Same applies to B files.

Timers are more complex but addressing is consistent with above:
T4:0 (first timer)
T4:1 (second timer)
T4:2 (third timer)
T4:3 etc.

Each timer has following (x - file number, y - element number):
Tx:y.PRE Preset
Tx:y.ACC Accumulator
Tx:y/EN Enable bit (timer coil energized)
Tx:y/TT Timer timing
Tx:y/DN Timer Done

Example:
T4:10/TT Timer T4:10 timing
T4:12/DN Timer T4:12 done timing

Any questions?

Here's a couple books

Frank, there are a couple links at the bottom of this page that are pretty good SLC related books I have on my bookshelf:

PLC Trainer

You got to love all the variations!

Frank, you may have already been here but try TheLearningPit.com. You will find the LogixPro trainer software and associated labs provided for folks wanting to learn about AB plcs. I use it in teaching my plc classes at my community college and find that it is very well done and easy to learn from. You get both the SLC500 and RSLogix training all in the same package. If you choose to buy the software, it is very reasonable and you will find it easy to use.

You absolutely, positively cannot live without the SLC-500 Instruction Set Reference. It's the same information that is online in RSLogix 500, yet suitable for browsing whilst in the can.

You can get a hardcopy from your distributor or from the RA Automation Bookstore. The publication number is 1747-RM001C-EN-P.

http://files.awdm.com/e-files/ra/1747/1747-rm001c-en-p.pdf

There's also a little booklet called "MicroMentor" that A-B used a few years ago as a MicroLogix introduction. Your distributor probably has a stack of them in the back.

The Learning Pit emulator does a great job of coaching you through the SLC-500 architecture. RSI has some online learning tools, too.

Not so far away

Frank:

Just where in Philly are you? I'm out in West Chester, just 45 minutes or so (depending on the Schuylkill), and might be able to give you some quick tutoring, depending on schedules (I'm on the road in Boston right now). Enable PMing or Email and we can talk.

Normally I like to keep all discussions on the forum, for the benefit of all, but sometimes a little one-on-one works best.

Last edited:
A very quick thank you

I just got in from work (4-midnight shift) and wanted to fire off a quick thank you to everyone. It will take me a while to digest all you have offered.

You guys are great;
Frank

Ken Roach said:
You absolutely, positively cannot live without the SLC-500 Instruction Set Reference.

Agreed. The RSLogix help file is not as helpful as it could be. Download it to your laptop, put a shortcut where it is handy. Also get the MicroLogix instruction set as well.

I just received a micrologix 1500 starter kit for a customer yesterday and it had a new manual that I have not seen before. It has a print date of 2002 and is called the micrologix 1200/1500 instruction reference manual. The best one I have seen, it is specifically written for the ML 1200/1500, ie it is not a botched adaption of the SLC instruction manual. (a lot of people will say what is the difference. There is a fair bit, I find the 1500 a lot more advance than the SLC platform) This manual is worth a read even to experiencesd programmers. It already saved me some heartache. I had a pump that I manually accelerate up to half speed then drop into PID mode. On power loss or first run of the program it took forever for the PID to wind above the 50% speed mark. The integral sum on download or power off gets reset to zero. I was able to write the appropriate value into the XXXX.IS word at the start of each PID phase for a smooth transfer. This sort of detail is not in the online help or the older manuals. Regards Alan