HART definition file ???????

This looks like explaning HART protocol.

This request came from our customer - to supply HART definition files for all the HART devices that we are providng. I am not sure if these are some electronic files or just programming manuals for those devices. Anyone has a idea????????

I suspect they want a list of devices, addresses, comm parameters, and monitored data with registers for each device on the network.

Any manufacturer who implements HART (a communications protocol) in his field instruments provides a "Device Descriptor" (DD) file speciric for that HART enabled device (or sometimes a series of devices).

The device descriptor file works in HART enabled communicators (like the HART 275 communicator, or Siemsens PDM Windows software) to access all of the parameters in the HART field device, not just the 'generic' HART parameters.

Either once or twice a year, the HART foundation publishes a big list of all the Hart devices and their DD's. In early versions of the Hart handheld communicator, the handheld had to be sent back to the factory to have DD's added to it. The HART 275 hand held communicator was recently replaced by the 375 (?). I'm not sure if the 375 has capabilities of having DDs added without being returned for service, but I suspect it does.

In my experience, the DDs are usually provided on the manufacturers' web site. I downloaded a Siemens level sensor DD the other day and installed it in their PDM software.

In any case, they're not hard to get ahold of, because the vendors want to use what they've spent lots of money developing. I've never heard of any manufacturer charging money for a DD.

Some devices can be setup using the "generic" HART commands/paramters, which I think are basic parameters like
LRV (lower range value)
URV (Upper Range Value)
tag name and
engineering units

Devices like Coriolis meters almost always have to have the DD to access the secondary and tertiary variablesand the more complex setups. I've setup any number of pressure transmitters without the DDs because the few 'generic' HART parameters were sufficient.

It appears that the customer (in the original post) wants to avoid chasing down the DD's himself.

Dan

hart dd file

HART DEFINITION FILE IS NOTING BUT IT IS SAME AS THE DEVICE DRIVER FOR ANY COMMUNICATION SYSTEM. THE THIRD PARTY DEVICE IS ABLE TO RECOGNISE THE INSTRUMENTS ONLY AFTER READING THIS FILE. IT IS HAVING THE INFORMATION OF VENDOR AND CODING FOR COMMUNICATION (i.e. WHAT DATAS IT IS GOING TO SEND ON HART COMMUNICATION etc.). BECAUSE THE HART DD FILE IS SEPERATE FOR EACH AND EVERY INSTRUMENTS THE VENDORS DON'T CHARGE ANYTHIG FOR THAT . THEY PROMOTE THEIR INSTRUMENTS WITH FREE ISSUE OF DD FILE.

Sounds to me like the want a backup of the parameters in Hart file. I work with mainly Yokogawa BRAIN now but the old 275 could upload the parameters from the instrument and store it on an AMS database system.

If its a new project, do they just want a back of parameters for each instrument?