RSlinx Lite and RSLogix 500 Starter... FREE

geniusintraining

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
There has been several question asking how to do this or people just having issues doing it. I have search and did not find very many exact answers, so I wrote this, in hopes that it may help.

RSlinx Lite and RSLogix 500 starter FREE

If you are looking for the FREE version of Allen Bradley RSLogix 500 and the free version of RSLinx lite then use this, this was wrote by my so there may be an error or two but it should help you get what you are after

Go to http://www.rockwellautomation.com/support/downloads.html

Now click on software up dates and agree to the terms

You must register if you don’t have an account, then enter your login name and password

Click on the hyperlink “Select by Catalog Number” for RSLogix 500 starter (this is for 10 point AB PLC’s only) use part number9324RL0050ENE… for RSLinx ‘Lite’ use this part number 9355WAB100ENE

Enter the part number and click apply, click on the file below your user name and click qualify for update and choose “Download all files”

You will have to do this once for each file, Linx and Logix

Note: RSLinx lite will work with more then just RSLogix starter

After you download the file then unzip the file and install the software, when you are asked for a serial number, use 0123456789

RSLogix 500 is a normal size and can be downloaded at any time, but RSLinx is a very large file and you may want to down load this late at night, you will need the entire file

Now… RSLogix 500 Starter, will only work with one type of PLC, that is the 10 point Allen Bradley PLC, this model number is 1761-L10BWB and 1761-L10BXB I have verified it on BXB but not on the BWB and I also think it will work on the 1761-L10BWA, the BXB has transistor outputs the BWB has relay outputs, you can get more information at HERE

Also this software will not work with all 10pts, I know that some of the older PLCs (firmware) it will not, so this needs to be a new or newer PLC, if I ever find out the exact ones that is will or will not work with I will post them.

GiT

Thanks for all your research. I know it will help others to take advantage of this valuable resource.

Rslogix 500 Starter For 10 Pt Micrologix 1000 will work with 1761-L10BWA Series F

Barry

I downloaded all the files and am trying to install but I get an error message along the lines of "This product requires Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows 95/98, Windows ME, or Windows NT 4.0 with Service Pack 4 or greater."

I'm running 64-bit XP with the latest service pack (2) so there is no SP4 for me to upgrade to. Can anyone help me get around this problem? Thanks.

Rockwell Software has never tested or certified anything for Windows XP 64-bit.

Heck, even Microsoft Office doesn't run reliably on XP64.

Your only practical options is to use VMWare or another virtualization product to run Windows XP 32-bit.

Thanks Ken

I appreciate the quick response. I have a follow-up question for you.

I'm using RSLogix Micro Starter to modify a code that we were given by a supplier and we are having an issue with filtering. Basically, we are taking a signal from an inclinometer that is too noisy and averaging the data. The noise is giving us a bad average. I've contacted the supplier and he claims that filtering cannot be done within the software, only a physical external filter can be used.

I'm a structural engineer and I don't know much about PLCs, but I find it somewhat hard to believe there's not a band-pass or low-pass filter within the RSLogix software to achieve what we need. BTW, the code is written using ladder logic.

Do you have any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
wijoseph,

What processor (PLC) are you using? And analog card if using one. ( complete catalog number). Some cards have bulit-in filters. Or see below for a simple filter.
If you can post your program file ( .RSS file) zip it first and tell us what input your analog signal is connected to.

Wow, thanks

Mickey,

My code should be attached. If you open it, the I1 data file should list all the inputs. It looks like we are using a few different analog output modules: 1762-IF4, 1762-OF4, 1762-IT4 (thermocouple). The controller appears to be a MicroLogix 1100 Series A.

Thanks for any help you can give. Like I mentioned, PLCs are way outside my normal realm of work so I know almost nothing about this issue. Thanks again.

View attachment SUN_REV11.zip

Your input card 1762-IF4 has filter options on the card, configured thru the card's I/O
configuration. See pictures below for help on that. If those filter settings do not help
then use the filtering example I posted above using your PLC's math instructions.

Also where is the noise coming from? Are you using shielded wiring? Filters can help but it may just be a bandage.

filterbits.jpg filterhelp.jpg ioconfig.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, Mickey.

One more extremely basic question: when looking at my file, the JSR CNTRL ladder jumps to the other subroutines based on whether or not the T4:0DN value is 0 or 1. Assuming this value is 1, does it go through each subroutine sequentially or do them all simultaneously? I guess I don't have a good understanding of the flow sequence of ladder logic.

Similarly, it looks like this ladder will jump to rung 8 and execute those commands before any of the other ones, since the timer has not yet switched T4:0 DN to 1 (and this is an XIO command). Is that right?

Thanks, Mickey.

One more extremely basic question: when looking at my file, the JSR CNTRL ladder jumps to the other subroutines based on whether or not the T4:0DN value is 0 or 1. Assuming this value is 1, does it go through each subroutine sequentially or do them all simultaneously? I guess I don't have a good understanding of the flow sequence of ladder logic.

Similarly, it looks like this ladder will jump to rung 8 and execute those commands before any of the other ones, since the timer has not yet switched T4:0 DN to 1 (and this is an XIO command). Is that right?

Sequentially.

Yes rung 8 is executed first on power up or program mode to run mode.

Hello wijoseph,

This was wrote a long time ago... try the steps below for a newer version that Rockwell came out with

I have not looked at your code or anything that Mickey has told you to do but I am sure he is correct, this is just in reponce to the update for the first post on down loading the software

For programming Allen Bradley PLC’s you need two operating software packages
(RSLogix and RSLinx) , RSLogix is the software to program the PLC, RSLinx is the
communication software from your PC to the PLC.

Go to Rockwell Automation website click the link below or copy and past it into your
browser.​

Under software you will need to download the top link​
RSLogix Micro Starter Lite (v8.30) without RSLinx — for offline programming (English)​

And you will also need to download (this is a large file and will take so time)​
RSLinx Lite software - needed for online programming​

After you click on the link a download screen will appear… Download the software to a
place on your hard drive, once it’s complete un-zip the file and open it and double click​
on the auto run icon or setup exe

re

what does it means for 10 points ? and can i connect power flex 4 directly with ml1100 through by the help of this software