S7 300 plc mmc card back up

Stuwertz

Hi all ,

In my plant using s7 300 pics . 313C , 315 F 2PN/ DP , 317 F2PN / DP , 315 2PN / DP . All plc used micro memory card . How to take the back up of these micro memory cards . I have Siemens pg . I saved the project and retrieve . But how to take the backup of user program .im new to Siemens. In case any one of mmc got corrupted what precautions I need to do to avoid plant down . ;)

If your Siemens PG has a memory card slot for Siemens MMC cards (not the same as MMC/SD card slots !!) then you can read the content from the MMC card in Simatic Manager. Unless you are sure that the card slot is for Siemens MMC cards, then do not insert the card as it can be damaged.
If the card slot is for Siemens MMC cards, then in Simatic Manager use the function File ... S7 Memory Card ... Open. Then copy-paste from the memory card to an empty project.

Of course, the proper way to create backups is to archive the source programs, not the flash cards. Notice you wrote you saved the project and retrieved. You shall use the File ... Archive function to make backups.

Hi sir as u mentioned I have the Siemens M2 pg with mmc slot . I'm new to Siemens . So inside the Siemens mmc card the project only there . In case my mmc card corrupted from my pg back up I can able to recover the system .

What is the difference between user program and project . Now my system running condition so I can’t able to remove mmc card . Need ur advice to gain my knowledge

The MMC card will contain the System Data Block (i.e. the hardware configuration), code blocks and data blocks.

Instead of copying the MMC card, start a new empty project and perfom an Upload to PG. The archive the uploaded project. It will achieve the same as copying the MMC and is easier.

The uploaded project will be a rudimentary hardware configuration, and the code and data blocks will be without comments and symbols.
As I said before, the proper way is to backup the source projects. In your 1st post you wrote that you saved the project, so I assume you have the source projects.

as mentioned by the other guys use the archive program of the S7 program
better leave the SD card alone and don't insert it into a normal card reader it will say the card is not formatted and asks if it should be formatted. Don't you will destroy the card
Siemens has a specific format which only a Siemens CPU can handle.

Hi sir when archiving uploaded project it’s asking for archieve on multiple data option “ no “ , 700 mb , 650 mb like that which one need to choose

I have some notes for saving the program in a PLC (card) . . .

1.) Stop the PLC. (In my case there is a 'panel application' on a PC for that purpose.)

2.) Open the Simatic Step 7 Program.
(Navigate to the desired PLC as necessary.)

3.) Go to 'blocks' and set things for 'No Filter'. (In the filter one could set it to show VAT or FB etc. etc.)

4. Go to the file menu, select 'Memory Card File' and select 'New'.
Save in the usual PC manner

5.) Name and save.

6.) Go to the window with all the blocks. Select ALL the blocks.
(highlight one file then Ctrl-A to select all)

7.) Copy and paste all the blocks into the memory card file window.
(My notes say that an error message that not all the blocks will copy is normal.)

8.) Close (Save).

My application then has me going back to the PLC 'Panel Application' and setting it up
such that if the PLC needs re-loading it will automatically go to the new file and reload itself.

I would imagine that it should be possible to open the new memory card file then
copy and paste the blocks back into the PLC as necessary.
Poet.

Last edited:
By the way, the reason for this procedure?
The Panel Application has an 'archive' feature but the tech note said
that the archive function does not save the entire program. So they
sent us this procedure to save the whole thing.
Poet.

When copy to the memory card file it copy the blocks only . And also it save as a . Wld file . It didn’t copy the hardware configuration . It will be okay else I made some mistake . Kindly give suggestions team

Dear Stuwertz,
As near as I can tell, that procedure only saves the program inside the PLC.
The configuration should be part of the 'project' - and the project (as near as I can tell)
contains all the configurations and program files and VFD configurations etc. etc. etc.

The project, of course, should be saved as yet another computer file (or is it a
set of files?).

Poet.