How do I find the whole number in a float?

WireGuy1950

I am trying to determine the fractional protion of a float number to do a further math operation and I am stumped on how to determine the "whole number" portion of the Float number, e.g. Float= 4.714286. I want to extract the "4" and subtract it from the float then multiply the remainder by 7.

The PLC is AB PLC 5/20.

Any suggestions?

The simplest way is to subtract .5 from the float and then use the MOV instruction to move the float to an integer. This works well for numbers that are between -32767.5 32767.5.

For larger numbers you need a truncate function. The PLC/5 and SLC500 do not have a simple truncate instruction. I have written one and you can download it at http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?download=761

The program contains two different truncation examples and one rounding example. The rounding example is to round a float that is larger than 32767. Either one of the truncation examples should work for you. It was made for a SLC500 but will work on the PLC/5 also. If you only have RSLogix5 and not RSLogix500 let me know and I'll post a conversion.

Last edited:
Thank you both for the quick replies.

I wound up using the simple compare & subtract method, but I am keeping the other method for future reference.

I am starting another thread showing the results of this assistance in calculating the Day of the Week.

Thanks again.

The most efficient way with numbers in the integer range is to use

CPT N7:0 F8:0-0.5

No branching and no comparison involved. Integer to float comparisons require quite a bit of processor work and the CPT skips the necessity of making an intermediate memory storage.

What I found strange on a machine someone else programmed for us, that instead of just using the MOV command when they wanted to round off a Float to an Integer, they instead used MUL by 1.

It's just really odd to see a bunch of multiplying by 1 (they use it a LOT, everything that's displayed on the HMI is rounded).