Stratix and Cisco AOP work for both?

TheWaterboy

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I expect I know the answer for this - but if I buy the Cisco switch vs the stratix switch - will the AB AoP work for the Cisco switch too (ie2000 for example) or has that ability been completely disabled in the Cisco versions?

I ask because I need to put the network status and traffic flows on the Scada system instead of using its own management software. The FT network management software, and Cisco's too, is quite expensive. The AOP gives me enough metrics to make a reasonable map.

I don't use FT View (yet? ;) ) so I cant use the faceplates, just the AoP.

AFAIK, the Rockwell version is actually different from the Cisco version; mainly dumbed down firmware, and special EIP handlers, so I wouldn't think the Cisco could drop in and work with Rockwell's clumsy interface AOP's.

I can't say for certain, I had one Cisco Stratix equivilant in place, but it failed after about 2 weeks, so I tossed it.

I imagine the EIP handlers are what make Stratix attractive. I don't care so much about the faceplates, and I can't use them anyway - but I do like that tag enabled management. It makes it easier to automate and discover issues that operators can then relay to maintenance in plain speech.

Stratix AOP will not work with IE.
If you are looking to use Tags, then AOP exposes mostly port alarms.
There is a very limited control, mostly Port Enable.

And even you don't need HMI and faceplates, you can actually use AOI that comes with faceplates to get extended information from the Stratix

I know the AOP wont work in the browser - didn't expect that.
I should have been more specific in that the AOI is where the interest is. (I thought it was packaged as part of the AOP so I grouped them as one)
The Stratix brand is at least 30% higher in cost and for less features. Granted these are features I likely don't need. But it has the AOI...

AOI is not a part of AOP, AOI distributed with the Faceplate, but can be used as a stand along with minor modifications

TheWaterboy said:
...I need to put the network status and traffic flows on the Scada system instead of using its own management software...

Another "simple" option is the built-in Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) that most all these switches support. You can use an OPC server for SNMP, such as Kepware's iSNMP, to display the switch's diagnostic information directly on a HMI or SCADA system.

Not free & not necessarily cheap, depending on your budget; but it is another option.

Regards,
George