siemens programming

ksteel24

I'm new to programming and I need help figuring out a way constantly check a timer without looping it. the project that I'm working on is a stop light. it a class project. I have something but my instructor doesn't like because its looped its not a unbreakable loop so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. any help would be greatly appreciated

The PLC program should automatically loop constantly. Once it finishes your code, it jumps straight back to the beginning. You shouldn't need anything extra, at least as long as you're using the standard built in timers (TON, etc).

I would change the title of the thread to PLc programming methodology instead of focusing on a brand as your question isn't really related to Siemens.

It's just that most of the people in the forum don't get a chance to work or prefer not to work with Siemens and therefore may not visit the thread even though they are fully capable of giving you great answers.

Have you programmed any type of system before? Microcontrollers, computers?

No I haven't. I mean I took two allen bradley plc classes and we did some programming in the second class but as far as actually programming an entire system no I have not.

I meant programming because to take full benefit out of the Siemens equipment, it is worth knowing how to program in languages like C or C++... it's not required, but it helps bridging the concepts.

About programming a system, it'll come from experience, generally you start from the bottom and map and scale your IO. Then you look at what you're going to be controlling. If it's a motor, create a function (or function block) to control a motor and put all the required inputs and outputs in that function.

Do you mind sharing some of your code that your teacher is not happy with?