start+stop as a reset

plcnewbie

Is anything wrong with using a start and stop button together to ons a reset for an alarm? The device I need to reset is a diverter which sometimes has a jam then we have to go to the panelview and reset it after clearing the jam which makes us go past the panel then back to the panel to reset it. About 20 feet apart.
Have any of you guys done this?

I've used push buttons for operations other than their designated function (ie, button does several things), but I tend to like my start/stop buttons to serve only the purpose of start and stop. Somehow it just seams safer to me for stop to always mean stop and start to always mean start even if other buttons are pushed in too.

I agree with marksji, and especially using both the start and stop is inadvisable because there is no guarantee that the operator will press both exactly together. Do you have to stop the conveyor anyways to clear the diverter jam? If so than how about a time delay on the stop? Hold it for three seconds and the alarm resets. Or can you have the alarm auto reset when the conveyor stops? Only do this if it is safe to do so.

A better way to reset would be to hold the stop button for 5 seconds. Once 5 seconds has elapsed in your program, issue the reset one-shot. This is long enough so that it can't accidentally reset by a clumsy operator, but not too long where it will cause impatience.

:edit: sorry I didn't really read Alaric's reponse before i replied......3 sec or 5, whatever works 🍻

$

I will try the hold of stop for 5 sec for the reset. I think this is the best way I have seen. If anyone else feels different please chime in.

Thanks again

I have used the 5s on a stop PB before to clear a fault, no problem.

I am responding to this post only because I noticed that you said this problem happens "occasionally", and the operator panel is 20' away.

Asking an operator to walk 20' occasionally doesn't seem like too much to ask (if the problem is truly occasional). It sounds to me like someone is trying to pass their work on to you. If the problem is more than occasional then you have a problem with your machine and making it easier to reset the fault is simply masking the problem.

I have spent too much of my career trying to come up with control solutions for mechanical problems. I can't count the number of times I have been asked to make a program change or add a sensor etc.. either because a machine was inadequetly engineered or as they used to tell me in Arkansas "this thing-a-ma-jig is wore slap out".

I was once asked to install auto resetting overloads on a 1HP pump motor because "whenever we use this thing for more than a half an hour the overload trips". Turns out the motor was, well, overloaded. I installed a 1.5HP motor and never had to look at it again.

I don't know your machine and I might be off base, just something to keep in mind.

allscott, you have a great point there. I think we often try to make things easier for people too. But this is a machine that basically runs itself and if the problem occurs then who knows what direction we come from to clear it. I just took a suggestions from a worker for this and thought I would help them out seeing how I too help out on the production when nothing else is going on. So, it would make my job a bit easier too.

this is what I did. Take a timer and with the dn bit clear the alarm every 3 seconds. But only if there are no fatal alarms.

Sound good? It works well.