Allen Bradley SLC5/04

rsdoran

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a LINE (actually 2) that has 5 machines feeding via conveyor to another conveyor that combines the product into one package. The system is using an SLC 5/04, ASI-Master from SST, Devicenet, AB-160 drives, efector sensors, and 6 Panelview 550 (one at each machine..1 in main panel). Not sure all this info is relevant but stated it just in case. I have the latest version of RSLogix, RSLinx, and Panelbuilder32. The system was designed to run at 20 pieces per minute, they are averaging 16 per minute.

I want to do 2 things I think but open to your suggestions. First I would like a simple way to collect some data. Specifically at this time we want to monitor/record the machines that are feeding the line to determine if they ALL are feeding at the required 20 pieces a minute. Maybe monitor/record jams, to see if there is a specific area that needs attention. I understand that its possible to do DDE links to Excel (I have Chakorules's file but not sure I could implement it..not good at VB scripts). The question is what would you consider the simplest way to get the data. What program(s) would be needed etc. I dont need to do anything but collect data and not a lot of that. BTW: I can do reports with RSLogix I know but I dont want to have RSLogix connected to the machines all the time if possible. I dont want anyone to WRITE or be able to WRITE at any time.

The second part of this is I would like to network these 2 machines, technically I can do that on DH+ no problem but I would like to know (cant seem to find an adapter etc) if its possible to connect these to an Ethernet network. Would it be simpler to just use the DH+ network and connect to 1 PC and put that PC on the Ethernet network?

I appreciate any ideas you can give. You know how production is, they have the NEED FOR SPEED but dont want to spend money. I am working with the Engineer on this and if we need to spend some that probably wont be a problem.

Possibility

Ron,

Something I set up that is working pretty good to collect some data on a limited basis is an OPC Server and Client. You can download them for free and use them for two hours at a time. The OPC Server was from Kepware(www.kepware.com) and the client from Matrikon(www.matrikon.com). I use them on GE 90-30 PLC's over ethernet but they have drivers for SNP and SNPX. I didn't look at the AB drivers, I know they have them and I would assume they would have them for a DH+ network. I didn't really try to get it to work with an Excel spreadsheet, I have it putting the data into an Access Database.

This may be a way to do what you want and its free.

From the purely conceptual level, I would highly recommend using a completely separate PC communicating with all devices via a timed polling technique (the PC regularly requests information from each of the desired sources on a scheduled interval).

The reason I say this is to prevent any inadvertent "bogging down" of your process or filling up a harddrive with "unnecessary" data. Always a wise precaution in my book.

I personally like ethernet, but any industrial protocol should be just fine. I am not particularly AB literate, so I don't know if your PLC's can easily talk ethernet.

I have used both DDE and OPC for this purpose and think OPC is a little better and faster than DDE, especially when large quantities of information are being collected.

Steve

Connection

We use SLC5/04 PLC in our plant in Mexico. I connect these together using DH+, but then I also have a Controllogix rack, power supply, DH+ module, and a Ethernet module put on the same network. This creates a gateway for communications from Minnesota to Mexico. This works great for communicating for Minnesota to Mexico. We have an ethernet WAN and I can edit all PLC's and Panelviews while I am sitting in my office. This is not the cheapest way but it has saved me many minor trips to Mexico.

Craig

Ron,

Have you looked at the 1761-NET-ENI?Here is a link to the A-B brochure and User Manuals:

1761-NET-ENI brochure
1761-NET-ENI User Manual

This unit is geared toward the Micro and CompactLogix systems but should work on any DF1 connection including the 5/04.

Of course since it is using the RS232 port on your 5/04 you are losing Ethernet speed but gaining Ethernet connectivity.

One other thing to consider as an option would be to go ahead and connect the processors up using DH+ and then adding a ControlLogix chassis with a power supply, DH+ card, and an Ethernet card. This obviously will be more expensive in the beginning. But with a NET-ENI, you would have to add one for each controller to go onto the Ethernet. The ControlLogix would bridge everyone on the DH+ to the Ethernet through one ENET module. So as you add more 5/04s to the DH+ you do not need an ENI for each one.

Plus this only requires one IP address (for the ENET module) and would allow you on the ethernet to tunnel through the ControlLogix chassis to the devices on the DH+.

This also leaves your serial port available on the 5/04.

Just a suggestion!

OG

RS, maybee this will look to simple BUT...

16 pieces per minutes... thats a piece every 4 seconds (almost)... can you not just sit down in front of it and look?

Debugging with Data Acquisition is for long time or fast cycles.

Tell me where I'm wrong.

Pierre believe it or not I have been doing just that today. It doesnt sound that fast but it has issues when at the 20 pieces per minute speed setting that arent seen at 15. This is a two(maybe 3) fold project for me in a way. I believe there are several minor problems with the systems (these 2 are identical) that contributes to the speed issue, I have never done any kind of data acquisition setup on my own (so looking for simple options to get started) to monitor alarms, jams, feed rates etc and if I am successful with data collection and using that info to alleviate the issues we have now than I will have a new feather in my cap (and production/managements favor: which can come in handy when I want something).

Glaverty, thanks for the Kepware etc info. I have downloaded the Kepserver software and manual. Will read the next few days and see what I can do.

OG thanks for the 1761-NET-ENI info, forgot about that one. At this time I dont think I will get that though. I think I will go the Rolling cart and old PC to serial port route at this time.

Thanks to all for your replies. Any other ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Why not just derive the data you want and store it in one or both of the 5/04's? Then shoot it over to one or all of the panelviews. Look at it once a day, or week, or whatever, then reset it and start over. You would have to do some pencil work to archive anything, though.

John thanks, that is a good idea. Excellent way to start the sequence and if I need to print it later than I can work on that.

slc 5/04 on DH+

I have a problem with slc 5/04. It is working on dh+ and panel view 1000. I've connected my lap top on pcmk and pcm5/b cable but I can't see 5/04.
I've connected this card on dh+ with plc 5/60 and 5/25 and there was no problem. I can see both even I've download to a panel view 1400e.

when I try with 5/04, I've changed station number several times with no succes.

Is there something else I can do?

Avkiv14,
Is there something else I can do?
You need the PCM6/B cable. See PDF below. The 9 pin port on the SLC5/04 is not DH+ its RS232 or DH485.

Do you have the 1784-CP7 adapter or are you using it with the PCM5/B cable? If so then check your baud rate.

Last edited: