Memory reset of S7 PLC

Pandiani

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello to all,
Is it dangerous to perform memory reset of S7-300(400) PLC?
We have one S5 PLC which often "hangs" in operation and it seems that the only possible solution is to do "overall reset" which is always labeled "do it at your own risk in manuals". However I didn't find much information about S7 PLC reset.
Have you ever performed memory reset of S7-300 (400) PLC and why?

Last edited:
Here's the help from Simatic manager for memory reset: (sorry format destroyed during copy/paste)

Erasing the Load/Work Memory and Resetting the CPU

Before downloading your user program to the S7 programmable controller, you should perform a memory reset on the CPU to ensure that no "old" blocks are still on the CPU.

Requirement for Memory Reset

The CPU must be in STOP mode to perform a memory reset (mode selector set to STOP, or to RUN-P and change the mode to STOP using the menu command PLC > Diagnostics/Settings > Operating Mode).

Performing a Memory Reset on an S7 CPU

When a memory reset is performed on an S7 CPU, the following happens:

• <LI style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt">The CPU is reset.

<LI style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt">All user data are deleted (blocks and system data blocks (SDB) with the exception of the MPI parameters).

<LI style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt">The CPU interrupts all existing connections.
  • If data are present on an EPROM (memory card or integrated EPROM), the CPU copies the EPROM contents back to the RAM area of the memory following the memory reset.
The contents of the diagnostic buffer and the MPI parameters are retained.

Performing a Memory Reset on M7 CPUs/FMs

When a memory reset is performed on an M7 CPU/FM, the following happens:

• <LI style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt">The original state is restored.

<LI style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt">The system data blocks (SDB) with the exception of the MPI parameters are deleted.
  • The CPU/FM breaks off all existing connections. User programs are retained and will continue running after you switch the CPU from STOP to RUN.
With the "memory reset" function you can restore the original state of the M7 CPU or FM following serious errors by deleting the current system data blocks (SDB) from the work memory and reloading the SDBs in the read-only memory. In some cases, a warm restart of the operating system will be required. To do this, you clear the M7 using the mode selector (switch to MRES position). A reset using the mode selector on SIMATIC M7 CPUs or FMs is only possible if the RMOS32 operating system is used on the CPU/FM.

See also:

Last edited: