Comm between L30ER and L61

Brian10369

Lifetime Supporting Member
I seem to be overlooking a problem. I will just start at the being to make it easier.

I have to different PLC's that I am trying to get Produced and Consumed bits to work between via network.

The first PLC is a L61 using a 1756-ENBT card to communicate to a switch.

The second PLC is a L30ER that has 2 network connections. The first port is going to a switch and then from the switch to a PV+700. The second port is going back to my switch that is connected to the 1756-ENBT.

The L30ER is firmware 20.12

The L61 was 19.11. I figured that since I could not get them to communicate I best upgrade the firmware to version 20.11.

On the 19.11 firmware it was easy to do produced and consumed as long as both were the same firmware. Just create the tag offline and call use produced with interlock_data as the type on one end and use consumed on the other.

With the 20 revision I noticed that the data type does not allow for the interlock_data anymore and I am having a very hard time getting the 2 to talk back and forth.

On the L30ER I did the network discovery and found the 1756_ENBT card and set it up. I am assuming I have to add the processor also. So I do that. I seem to make a tag on the L30ER that does seem to work but, I cant seem to get the bit to be seen on the L61.

I did the network discovery on the L61 and it finds the L30ER, I am thinking that since the L30ER is going through the ENBT that might be where the problem lies.

Can someone please lay out a detailed 'How To' on both ends for me please?

I seem to be going in circles and just can not pinpoint the issue. ;););)

I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm glad you got it figured out !

The two most common issues with Produced/Consumed tags are:

1. The firmware does NOT have to be of the same revision. I lot of people jump to this conclusion but I have never found it to be the issue, and RA Engineering says there are no version-dependent compatibility issues for Produced/Consumed Tags.

2. The datatypes of the Produced and Consumed Tags must be identical. If any element name or data type or element sequence is different, even by one letter or one byte, the connection won't work. It's best to copy the datatype definition from one controller to another.

I agree with you on NOT having to upgrade the firmware but, since I was trying to add a L30ER to my 19.11 revision program it did not have that as a choice on the controllers. It only had the L32ER. Plus I am also trying to get produced and consumed tags between the once was 19.11 and a L71. The L71 was not on the list of controllers either. The L72 was. I have every EDS file that is available and even some from overseas so I know it was not an EDS issue. I also do know that the L71 EDS is based off the L72. So, that might have worked. But, I could not get the L30ER to communicate for the life of me. I just upgraded the firmware. Also, the customer would not like me leaving his multimillion dollar equipment showing a L72 on one end and it is actually a L71. I guess I was just having one of those moments where you go around in circle for hours on end and cant seem to break that loop. Thanks for the advise. It is very well appreciated.

Brian10369 - I do not want to hijack your thread... but I find myself in the exact same situation, processor for processor. I had to upgrade the firmware on the L61 controller because it did not have the L30er. After upgrading to version 20.11 the L30er was found. I added the L30er to the tree of the L61 processor and it is communicating. In the L30er controller I made a produced tag of type dint. Program accepts it no problem.
On the L61 side when I add the same data type consumed tag I get the yellow triangle in the tree next to the L30er controller. I get an error in the connections tab 16#0117 connection request error invalid connection point. Ive never set up produce and consume in controllers before so Im sure Im doing something wrong. My question is on the L30er controller do I need to add the L61 controller to to the L30er program tree?