a guy who writes machine software is ? (job title)

Dua Anjing said:
A company I used to work for wanted to call us "Customer Service Engineers" but were told by the human resources department that they couldn't as that title was already in use by the sales dept.

A friend from high school got a two-year tech degree for auto mechanics. He went to work for a new car dealership out of school and had two new cars fall off the lifts so they fired him. He then got a job for Union Pacific Railroad driving the train as an Engineer. He then told everybody he was a Mechanical Engineer! During that time he was in the union making $80K a year with extreme plush hours and a zero stress job. They sleep on the train when it is moving! Then he slipped on the job one day, derailed the train, and tried to sue the railroad for $$$millions for his "bad back". While laid up from that job he would do tile work on the floors of his house and refinish the woodworkings. Some bad back I guess! It only hurt when he was outside the house. How strange... Maybe it was the sun. They fired him and paid him $10K, but he owed the lawyer $20K for the case.

Today he works as a Customer Service guy for a food distributor making $35K a year. Probably one of the stupidest Engineers I have met. Or was he an Engineer..... Oddly he still tries to get back on with the railroad every chance he can get. He can't figure out why they won't call him back.

Joe_WaZoo

I amazed at the response on this thread, but I can see both sides. I do not have a degree. (but I do all integration, PLC, camera, servo, robot, paint marker, pin etch, many controllers, weld comp, level ll, barcode, on and on) I am not an electrician (but I build many panels a year). From what I have seen PLC programming seems to be for the people that think that way. Its a natural thing. I have seen highly educated people that just does not get it. I have seen the same that truly rock. I would never call my self an engineer (no card) nor would I put most of them above me, talent wise. I say get respect at work, and put the simplest thing on your card. a smart A is better than a dumb A.

He then got a job for Union Pacific Railroad driving the train as an Engineer.
All I ever wanted to do was drive trains. I began to think that something was wrong when by the last semester of my senior year I still hadn't taken a driver's ed course. When I finally got out of college with my engineering degree in hand, I asked, "Which way to the railroad". They told me, "You're not that kind of engineer". I've been disillusioned ever since.

It's not my job to drive this train,
The whistle I can't blow.
And I don't get to say how far
Or fast the train can go.
It's not me who says, "All aboard".
Can't even ring the bell.
But let the damn thing jump the tracks,
And see who catches hell!