SLC 5/05 Communication Timeout Problems?

misterturbo

Hi Guys,

Was wondering if someone would be able to shed some insight into a problem I have.

Hardware wise I am running a SLC 5/05 processor using ethernet.

I have a program (water treatment system) I have created under RSLogix 500 6.2 and an HMI application running under RSView ME 5.0 CPR 9.. I also am running a simulation program which has been created with RSView32 Works which I use to test the main program.

I have been encountering a communication problem with this setup. It seems the ssytem can't seem to handle the bandwidth/traffic with these three programs operating. I have had multiple successful experiences with running ControlLogix processors many times using this setup (using RSLogix 5000 instead of RSLogix 500 of course) and this is my first time using a SLC.

What happens is, going online with the processor only gives no problem. Even going online and also running ONE of the other programs, RSViewME or RSView32 works with no problems. The problem happens with I run all three applications at once then I start getting problems.

RSView32 will start losing communication, ie. graphics will go blank and will say that tags are in error, also RSLINX will say STATUS ERR$5 for the tags.. RSViewME will do the same, losing graphics and saying that it lost communication with the PLC at address xxx.xxx.xx.xx and sometimes RSLogix 500 will go Offline.

Note that I am using 2 computers, 1 for the simulation and the other for the other software. I have also tried using 3 computers and 1 computer too..

So it only seems to happen when the network traffic gets too high. I look at the network statistics in Windows for the adapter and they don't seem to high, or perhaps they are too high for a SLC processor? Like 5Kb/sec on one and 4Kb/sec on the other.

I've tried adjusting the CIP options in RSLINX, if I adjust the number of connections lower then RSView32 will lose connection all the time and if I adjust it higher than RSView32 will work better but the other applications fare worse.

Does anyone have any clues? Is it a hardware limitation for SLC CPUs or is there something I am missing?

Thanks
Chris

RSLinx Error $5

I am having almost the same issue as misterturbo...
But here are the differences
RSLogix 500 V9.0 and Wonderware 7.11 running on Win XP system.
I have 2 topics in RSLinx that when I check the tags I get the status error $5
This system has been running for 14 yrs. and Operator shut down system for maintenance and the battery on the processor was dead, so program was lost.

WW log does state it can not start NetDDE, don't know if this is part of the problem.

Any advise on what to try to fix this issue?

Thanks,
KuulKuum

You might want to try adding a rung to your program that will unconditionally unlatch bit S:2/15 and latch bit S:33/7. The RSLogix 500 help files explain the function of these system bits. Go to "Processor Status" and select the "Chan1" tab and then click the "Help" button.

Thanks Bit_Bucket_07,

The S:2/15 is set and S:33/7 is clear... I think your suggestion will work.
I will try your suggestion on Monday and reply back if it works.

The one thing I did not mention in previous post is that we had no archive of the PLC program, so I downloaded the only program I could find on the WW PC and of course it has no description at all. So I'm not sure if this is the right program for the machine any ways.

Thanks,
KuulKuum