OT: What do run your VM on?

My major upset is about VM is windows licensing..why should I have to buy a Windows license for every VM I make???
I do not understand why I cannot use my desktop license for the VM.
I can sort of understand if the VM is being moved to other pcs, but I only run them on my pc.

I have talked to Microsoft support about this - especially since an installation of Windows 7 can no longer go online to buy a license, even though the Resolve Online popup keeps popping up. I asked why then doesn't Microsoft issue an update that licenses all installations or stops asking.

Fortunately, for Windows XP, I found a download online that installs without a license and never asks.

I haven't tried a Windows 10 install on a VM, but the license says it is tied to my outlook.com account & it might use that to license, thinking I changed the hard drive. Might have to try that just to see if it works.

I run a MB Pro 13” with the VM on the 256 SSD. I have flush install SD card carrier installed with a 256gb card for data. As the prices come down for the large as cards I upgrade it. If apple doesn’t get their act together my next laptop will be an MSI gaming laptop with an external GPU to run solidworks and autocad.

I also have a Lenovo T470. I’ve been rather impressed by it, but wish it had a solid state drive.

All,
Thanks for the replies!
I have a Dell Precision M4800 with a 500G HD. After Goggling, it appears the computer doesn’t support a 2nd internal HD so it looks like I’ll be moving my VMs from my external USB storage device to the host as needed.

I would ask for a new computer but our IT person has refused to provide a base image/Disk to create VMs for the last couple of years because they don’t understand the need even after multiple staff members have explained it to them.

Oh well, Happy 4th!

Thanks,
Bob O.

Easy, go get a Samsung 1TB SSD and USB to SATA cable and within an hour you will be up and running using Samsung's Data Migration software tool.

So basically, rewarding IT's ignorance and bank rolling some dude's company??

By 'go get an SSD..' I mean 'go get the company to pay for an SSD..'. Shouldn't be too hard to convince someone, whether that is IT or the boss, that a measly $250 upgrade will pay for itself within a couple of weeks of increased productivity.

Maybe I am spoilt and don't understand the bureaucracy of larger organisations.

I am the IT 'department' as well as overseeing a team of controls guys in my company so whatever myself or my programmers need I just explain the simple numbers to the boss and I get approval on the spot.

By 'go get an SSD..' I mean 'go get the company to pay for an SSD..'. Shouldn't be too hard to convince someone, whether that is IT or the boss, that a measly $250 upgrade will pay for itself within a couple of weeks of increased productivity.

Maybe I am spoilt and don't understand the bureaucracy of larger organisations.

I am the IT 'department' as well as overseeing a team of controls guys in my company so whatever myself or my programmers need I just explain the simple numbers to the boss and I get approval on the spot.

This is definitely depending on the company and how far IT hooks have gone.
The company I referred to, IT had their hooks all the way in the organization...

Here's a couple of idiot behaviours from them:

- I did what you did and justified the purchase of a second monitor for maintenance team leaders... these would be people making 300 to 500k a year... fiddling between an Excel sheet and a PDF drawing on a single screen for a few minutes would pay for a 300 dollar screen easily. Manager approved (he had two screens himself and understood the gain in productivity). IT got wind of it and blocked it because they did not approve two screens on their precious desktops. It had to go two levels above for them to shut up.

- We requested maintenance laptops and were lucky to get a couple of toughbooks. After a review of what he had installed we defined to have one for Siemens kit, one for AB and miscellaneous kit... the laptops were again blocked by IT because we cannot have laptops that weren't issued by them. I got in touch with the guy blocking it and explained that we needed the laptops for maintenance purposes and if he was worried that someone could connect them to the network we would gladly give him the mac addresses for him to block them. Nope... he wouldn't have that... instead he demanded that the laptops be loaded with the custom image of the OS of choice for the company. Obviously it was a cluster**** of driver downloads to get everything working. At the same time I highlighted that a couple of instruments only work on XP and communicate over Serial Port... he denied the request and we could not have a tool to access these instruments.
Funnily enough one of his minions came onboard to look at a UPS and requested an XP laptop because it comes with a Serial port application. I asked for that in writing and sent it over to his boss...

There were more, but I'm in a better place and don't want to ruin my day thinking about them.