Carpet Accumulator Control

Apologies to all. I have not bailed out....just the pressure of another job.
MichealG, your graphic is almost correct except for the J Bin shape; The shape of the J Bin is a half parabola. Carpet enters as you have shown but the carpet leaves the J Bin at floor level.
Note that the Roll Up roller is driven by a manual VSD with its own speed profile. Its max speed is 24 metres/minute (compared with 2 to 4 meters/minute for the oven, entry roller speed).

Carpet Accumulator

In all of my experiences with accumulators, the accumulators were never allowed to come to rest on "bottom springs" when the accumulator is full. The web (material) would lose all tension when this happens - typically very undesirable.

We always have a position sensor on the accumulator. When the accumulator is 98% full, the exit roller runs that same speed as the entry roller with trim from a PID loop to maintain the accumulator at the 98% level. If the accumulator is above 95%, then the exit roller can run any speed that you desire.

There is a Banner distance sensor under the first roller of the Accumulator. When the Accumulator is resting on the Bottom Limit, the Distance Sensor will measure any carpet sag and the
Exit Roller Speed will be trimmed to take up the sag.

I like your idea of when the accumulator is 98% full, the exit roller runs that same speed as the entry roller with trim from a PID loop to maintain the Accumulator height. This would be the case when there is no roll up.