Formula for BTUs

Snap25

Lifetime Supporting Member
Based on your components, how do you calculate what size air conditioner you need for your control panel?

The control panel is will have a 1200 amp main disconnect. I estimated 800 FL amps x 480VAC = 384,000 Watts! .. It would come down to needing 1.8 million BTU/hr

Am I not factoring in the correcting heat load? Do I calculate the full 384,000 Watts as a heat load?

The air conditioner size calculation is based on heat dissipation of the panel devices, not FLA.

I've seen a lot of different descriptions used for this specification including heat dissipation, heat loss, and efficiency. It's usually measured in Watts, except for efficiency, which is generally a percentage of FLA.

I decided to just give a A/C manufacture a call and described the panel. He is estimating (2) 4000 BTU/h units will do the job. I'm not sure how it was calculated but its completely different than what I calculated.

Most manufactures will list watt loss for their equipment. If no data is available I use 3-5% of the power through the equipment as a general rule of thumb though other factors are important too - is the enclosure exposed to external heat etc. What is the maximum allowable temperature of the equipment in the panel? What is inside the control panel? Is it a VFD?