OPC communications

ken c

About me: I have a fundamental knowledge of PLC's (taken 3 succesive Allen Bradley RSLogix 500 courses with a little applied knowledge)

Problem: considering purchasing allen bradley RS View as an HMI and for OPC commications between an OPC server (utlizing OPC specs based on Axeda FactorySoft OPC Toolkit) and a SLC5/03.

Approach: interface with SLC 5/03 from desktop (with RS View installed) using serial cable (yes i'm less than 50ft). interface between RS View and OPC server utilizing ethernet cable.

i feel confident that I can handle the PLC programming and should be able to get support from Allen Bradley if i have any problem with RS View interfacing with the SLC 5/03. my uncertainty lies in the OPC interface. any recommendations for resources? How do i go about getting RS View to "see" the OPC server?

thank you for your contructive input!

Are you trying to address tags in an Allen-Bradley controller? RSlinx is an OPC server, if you get the right version. I don't think RSLinx Lite will work, but you don't need RSLinx Gateway Pro Gold XP Server 2.0 Beta, either.

I've been using RSView SE, and setting up an OPC server is essentially as easy as selecting "NEW OPC server" from a pull-down menu. I'm not sure how RSView 32 may differ.

When you configure a "node" in RSView and select OPC, you will be presented with a choice of local or remote. Local servers (on same PC as RSView) will be shown in a drop-down list for selection. I've never done a remote config. so don't know if they will be listed or not (you would need to be connected of course). If not you will need to type in the full path to the server.

haven't started yet but just wanted to see if there were any other things that i should be aware of. seems like i just need to jump in a take each obstacle as it comes up. at least i think i have all the bases covered (according to Rockwell and the OPC software folks).

thanks for your advice and encouraging remarks. this project should be underway in a couple weeks.

by the way, i'm new to this resource but PLCS.net seems like a fantastic resource with a wealth of knowledge.

Gerry said:
I've never done a remote config. so don't know if they will be listed or not (you would need to be connected of course). If not you will need to type in the full path to the server.

RSView SE lets you browse for remote servers. But, the remote server must be running RSLinx GATEWAY. We just discovered this the hard/fun way (by spending a day with a Rockwell service guy on site, trying to make it work).

AK

ken c said:
by the way, i'm new to this resource but PLCS.net seems like a fantastic resource with a wealth of knowledge.

Most of the time it is. Just don't ask us about traffic lights, elevators (lifts), or the newest addition: nuclear waste.

You're right about taking one issue at a time, too. I've been having some interesting moments with our development system. It's strange because I swear I'm doing things the same way I was three weeks ago, but the failures & quirks are coming less frequently. Is that because I'm starting to adapt to the software, or is the software adapting to me? I'm starting to think my computer is watching me... It's all about those "vestigial parameters" I mentioned WAAAAY back, I guess.

AK