Bianry BACnet tags in Crimson 3.0

JBooth

Hi all,

My plant is currently starting an hvac upgrade form our old siemens control package to a carrier BACnet package. We are using BACnet udp/ip going into a crimson redlion g310 and from there to a CompactLogix PAC, using the redlion as a protocol converter. I have figured out how to get all of the devices hooked up and draw in analog I/O and analog values, but I am having trouble figuring out how to set up the blocks and/or tags to pull in and view or use the binary objects. Any help on how to set up binary BACnet tags to view on the redlion will be much appreciated. For example, one of the binary outputs from the VAV zone fan terminal box is for the fan being on/off. Just want to set up a tag so I can view the state of the fan, or use the state on a fan animation.

Thank you for any help,
James Booth

Are you using the Master or the Slave Driver?

If you are using the Master driver don't use the blocks, Link the tag directly to the BACnet device by selecting it in the tags "Source"

If you are using the Slave driver, set the block direction to "Device to G3". if you than want a specific bit right click on the block and click "Expand Bits"

Using a master. I have a tag set up through a block and a tag set up straight to the vav box, but I cannot get it to show the state of the binary bit. For the analog bits I was testing i set them up as floating point, looking at the present value of the object I wanted and they worked perfectly. Tried setting up my tags for the binary the same way but it is not giving me any data.

You may consider doing this in contrologix directly. We have done this way on multiple cases. Using an external box adds a layer, a dependency & processing delays. I can send you an example on request. You must use ver 17 or newer & a newer than ENBT module.
Will be glad to help you.
[email protected]

We are planning on using i-vu, the Web based software for carrier, for the actual controls, but using the redlions we have for viewing around the plant. Would much prefer not adding the cost of a whole bunch of bacnet cards for the controllogix pacs just for data viewing purposes.

Uggh. I did 2 projects like this a few years back but have the files at home. I think I used a block vs. direct tag (although not sure). Can't you right click the data to expand the bits as shown?

bacnet.JPG

You may consider doing this in contrologix directly. We have done this way on multiple cases. Using an external box adds a layer, a dependency & processing delays. I can send you an example on request. You must use ver 17 or newer & a newer than ENBT module.
Will be glad to help you.
[email protected]

I didnt know this was possible. It would be very useful. Can you post an example?

Ok, so I found the problem. I was setting my tags up properly, the reason I was not getting any data was because we were missing a biasing terminator that has to be at the end of the ms/tp network. Without that, my last box, which was the one I was trying to pull binary data from, was not communicating properly. Thank you all for the help.

That is what I was suggesting. Using a AOI in the clgx PLC. Search for Parock1 online which will give you an insight into what I am talking about. Similar instruction can be created for BACNET easily.

Scott, Search for Parock1 online. That is one of the examples of a PLC RESIDENT DRIVER for logix family. What I was talking was to create a similar item for BACNET.