Help a virgin VM user set one up please...

Code Blagger

Hello guys after some (a lot probably) of help. I've bought VM Ware 16 pro as I wish to set up 3 VMs for different RS Logix versions I use. I'm a little confused so have a few questions if anyone can help me please.

I have a new laptop with Windows 10. I have installed Logix (genuine licence from work) and I've put version 31 on that as it's what I'm currently working with.

Soon I will be working on a plc running version 20.04 and one running 17.04. I want the VMs to be based on my external SSD as that's 1TB whereas my laptop is only 512GB.

1. First window on VM ware it's asking me for an ISO image. Is it best to you a Windows 10 ISO image from my current laptop, or would it be better using a Windows 7 ISO? If the latter where can I get one from?

2. When I've got over that hurdle, will I need to remove the Logix licence and current version 30 from my laptop, to then reinstall it on the VM? is that how it's done?

I will have more questions I'm sure so thank you in advance.

You can "link" your RSLogix licence that is on the host into your VM.

Ken Roach has done a post about how to do this.

I did this differently, but with a similar desired result.

My host computer has FactoryTalk Activation Manager and has all the activations on it. I use the hard drive Volume ID as the unique identifier when creating the activations. I'm not totally sure if these count as "concurrent activations" because I have an OEM Toolkit, but I think they do.

The VMWare VM's each have a "host only" network adapter and I configure FactoryTalk Activation Manager on those VMs to point to the host computer's "host-only" IP address.

It's a relatively slow method; it can take a minute or more for the software to start up because FTA is busy checking the whole network instead of heading straight to the host-only network, but its tolerable.

But I have a half-dozen VMs, each with different versions of RA software going back about six years, and they call can activate off the host computer.

Just to clarify question 1, the VM is just going to be a dumb computer when you put a working version of windoz on it, use what ever you like depending on what is compatible with the the version of AB you are going to use. But word to the wise, don't come to this site for looking for pirated software or programs like win 7.

You can "link" your RSLogix licence that is on the host into your VM.

Ken Roach has done a post about how to do this.

I did this differently, but with a similar desired result.

My host computer has FactoryTalk Activation Manager and has all the activations on it. I use the hard drive Volume ID as the unique identifier when creating the activations. I'm not totally sure if these count as "concurrent activations" because I have an OEM Toolkit, but I think they do.

The VMWare VM's each have a "host only" network adapter and I configure FactoryTalk Activation Manager on those VMs to point to the host computer's "host-only" IP address.

It's a relatively slow method; it can take a minute or more for the software to start up because FTA is busy checking the whole network instead of heading straight to the host-only network, but its tolerable.

But I have a half-dozen VMs, each with different versions of RA software going back about six years, and they call can activate off the host computer.

Thank you. Can I make an iso from my current machine or do I need to buy another windows licence?

Just to clarify question 1, the VM is just going to be a dumb computer when you put a working version of windoz on it, use what ever you like depending on what is compatible with the the version of AB you are going to use. But word to the wise, don't come to this site for looking for pirated software or programs like win 7.

Thanks but I never buy pirated software.

You will need a valid Windows 7 or Windows 10 ISO. This would be an installation disc. Not an ISO of your own computer. Which you choose is up to you. Windows 10 ISOs are readily available from Microsoft. Think of the VM as a PC without any operating system installed. You need the ISO to install Windows.

To get started, I generally create one VM with just Windows installed. I refer to it as my "Baseline VM". Then I clone it and install software on that clone. Next time I need a new VM, I just clone the Baseline again.

Technically, each VM needs a Windows license. Although, some will make the case that if I only run one VM at a time then I can use a single license. I don't know the legality of that argument. The license for your physical PC cannot also be used for the VM. They must be separate licenses.

I personally do not install any software on my host machine beyond Windows and Office. Everything else goes into the VM. The exception some people recommend might be to install the FactoryTalk Activation Manager on the host. That allows your host to manage activations for the VMs. But I don't do that myself.

OG

The license for your physical PC cannot also be used for the VM. They must be separate licenses.

[Query @OG: when you say "clone" do you mean copy the VM file, or does the VM manager software have a clone option?]

The cost of the license is less than the labor cost it takes to figure this out, but we are so used to free software (well, maybe not the RA folks;)) it grates a little bit.

One way to get by with one windows license is to use Linux as the host with windows VMs*; there will be a step where the license step of the VM will balk, but you call Microsoft support and tell them the configuration and they sort it out.

* Although then running any license manager may become problematic.

There is a tool from VMware to convert physical machines to virtual machines (P2V). It is called the Vcenter Converter. It can do all sorts of different conversions beyond just P2V.

https://www.vmware.com/products/converter.html

I've used it before mainly as a tool that allowed me to perform some more advanced reconfigurations on my VMs.

I believe it is free to registered users. You would want the Standalone version.

OG

[Query @OG: when you say "clone" do you mean copy the VM file, or does the VM manager software have a clone option?]

VMware (and others I would imagine) has a Clone feature. Just give it a new name and it will create an exact copy,

They also have linked clones, which I never use. A linked clone requires the original VM to be available and then it essentially keeps track of everything that is different in the clone from the original. As VMs use a lot of disk space this can help reduce the space requirement. But I would rather have a completely independent copy.

Not that anyone suggested this, but I don't believe you are allowed to reuse OEM licenses. Windows OEM licenses are not transferrable. So if you bought a Dell laptop and it later died, you cannot reuse the license from that dead PC.

You can typically purchase new OEM licenses. My local Fry's used to require that you buy a piece of hardware (like a new hard drive) before they would sell an OEM license.

It's never easy is it?

OG

You can typically purchase new OEM licenses. My local Fry's used to require that you buy a piece of hardware (like a new hard drive) before they would sell an OEM license.

It's never easy is it?

OG

Did they go out of business?

Did they go out of business?

I don't know. I used to live about 2 miles away from one when I lived in Seattle. I went in there almost every weekend. When I moved to Dallas the nearest one is about 8 miles away and the first time I went in it looked like they were going out of business. Empty shelves and empty spaces everywhere. They were selling perfume, home exercise equipment, and "As Seen on TV" type stuff. It was very sad and I have not gone back. That was maybe a year ago.

OG

You will need a valid Windows 7 or Windows 10 ISO. This would be an installation disc. Not an ISO of your own computer. Which you choose is up to you. Windows 10 ISOs are readily available from Microsoft. Think of the VM as a PC without any operating system installed. You need the ISO to install Windows.

To get started, I generally create one VM with just Windows installed. I refer to it as my "Baseline VM". Then I clone it and install software on that clone. Next time I need a new VM, I just clone the Baseline again.

Technically, each VM needs a Windows license. Although, some will make the case that if I only run one VM at a time then I can use a single license. I don't know the legality of that argument. The license for your physical PC cannot also be used for the VM. They must be separate licenses.

I personally do not install any software on my host machine beyond Windows and Office. Everything else goes into the VM. The exception some people recommend might be to install the FactoryTalk Activation Manager on the host. That allows your host to manage activations for the VMs. But I don't do that myself.

OG

Thank you for your reply.

Just downloaded the media creation tool from Microsoft, and am now creating an ISO to my USB. I'm guessing once created and when I put it onto the virtual machine, when it boots up it'll ask me for a valid Windows licence key? Which is when I'll put in my newly purchased licence key string?

Correct. As part of the install it will ask for the license key.

I haven't done this in a while and I am using an older version of VMware, but getting it too boot off the USB can be a little tricky. For me, I had to use the "Power On to Firmware" option to start the VM (make sure the USB device is plugged in before this). Then in the Boot menu, make sure "Removable Devices" was listed first. Then Save and Exit. Which hopefully starts it booting from your USB device.

The gotcha was that the VM wasn't powered on so it had not yet captured the USB drive from the host.

And I am using an older version so it is possible they have made this easier in the new version. I usually found it easier to just download and use the ISO instead.

Good luck!

OG

Correct. As part of the install it will ask for the license key.

I haven't done this in a while and I am using an older version of VMware, but getting it too boot off the USB can be a little tricky. For me, I had to use the "Power On to Firmware" option to start the VM (make sure the USB device is plugged in before this). Then in the Boot menu, make sure "Removable Devices" was listed first. Then Save and Exit. Which hopefully starts it booting from your USB device.

The gotcha was that the VM wasn't powered on so it had not yet captured the USB drive from the host.

And I am using an older version so it is possible they have made this easier in the new version. I usually found it easier to just download and use the ISO instead.

Good luck!

OG

Thank you for your help. Will try this the weekend.

On ebay.uk you can buy a windows license for as low as 3 dollars

it is delivered via email with the link to microsoft website where you can download the ISO image

this seems to be legal in europe, not sure about USA though