You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old January 12th, 2018, 02:49 PM   #1
Maximuse
Canada

AB Logix 5573 Connection Issue

Hi All,
I ran into a machine yesterday with a 1756-L73/B (LOGIX5573) processor. I could not upload the program as the upload failed on a certain module upload. Can't remember exactly which unfortunately. Anyway, I tried to create a new program with this processor just to do some experimenting and discovered this particular processor does not exist in my drop down list. The firmware version of the processor in question is 20.13. I have Logix5000 version 20. Can someone explain how I go about this? Do I have an inadequate FactoryTalk Activation for this processor perhaps?
Old January 12th, 2018, 03:20 PM   #2
Ken Roach
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

Do any of the 1756 series controllers appear in your drop-down list ?

There is a "Compact Edition" of RSLogix 5000 that only supports the CompactLogix controllers and not the 1756-series ControlLogix.

I just checked my RSLogix 5000 Version 20.00.00 installation, which uses a Toolkit activation that includes every controller, and it definitely lists the 1756-L73.
Old January 12th, 2018, 03:25 PM   #3
Maximuse
Canada

Thanks for the reply Ken. I have all kinds of 1756 controllers listed, including the 1756-L73. What I'm missing is the L73/B. I think this might be an important distinction because the description for the L73 is "ControlLogix 5570 Controller" whereas when I try to go online or upload the dialog box states "1756-L73/B LOGIX5573". Makes me think there is definitely some sort of difference.
Old January 12th, 2018, 03:39 PM   #4
Ken Roach
United States

The Series letter is unlikely to be the problem; it's nearly impossible to tell a Series A from a Series B controller from a firmware perspective.

I think the issue is the Module definition; I've experienced a similar problem a couple of times where I could not upload from a controller. It's been a few years and I don't recall the details (or even if they involved a v20 controller).

Try the upload again, and capture the details of the error message that appears.
Old January 22nd, 2018, 01:50 PM   #5
Maximuse
Canada

Forgive me for re-opening this thread but the machine is located far from where I normally travel so it took me a while to get back there. Anyways please see attached screen shots showing error message.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Failure1.jpg (35.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Failure2.jpg (32.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Before_Upload.jpg (40.3 KB, 8 views)
Old January 22nd, 2018, 02:16 PM   #6
Ken Roach
United States

Thanks very much for posting those details !

Your symptoms appear to correlate to a document in the Rockwell Automation Knowledgebase, Article ID # 565685 (Access Level: Everyone).

The error messages about the PLC/SLC mapping table are a red herring; the issue is actually a mismatch between the ControlLogix firmware and the RSLogix 5000 software that occurred when Rockwell migrated (somewhat clumsily) to a more robust digital signature method for security reasons.

The solution is to install version 20.04 of RSLogix 5000 on your computer, which will allow you to work with any version of 20.x firmware in the controller.
Old January 22nd, 2018, 02:24 PM   #7
Maximuse
Canada

Thanks Ken!!!
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum