Mitsubishi Q series dummy PLC (simulator)

tcaradonna

I'm designing an HMI that uses OPC to talk to a PLC (Mitsubishi Q series).

I don't have hardware available, but I would like to simulate the PLC side with TCP or UDP on my computer. I have no need for the PLC simulator to actually execute ladder code, just store the PLC memory (hence dummy). Does anyone have any idea if something like this exists?

It need to support read/write calls from an OPC server (I have this).

Thanks!

If you are only interested in the opc connection & you have an opc server you don't need a plc, OPC servers usually work in two ways, you create the list of variables in the opc server i.e. Valve_open = Address M249 so the opc server contains all the addresses, your client (HMI) only refers to the namespace i.e Valve_Open.
The other way some opc servers work is that the addresses & namespaces are configured in the client (HMI) then the opc server only has A Channel & Device i.e the type of comms & the plc.
Most opc servers have a simulation devices i.e. kepserver has a simulation driver so R devices are used & increment & decrement at xx interval.
your HMI should only be a client so does not require the real address in this instance even if you call a variable D100 this in the opc server could be R100 (simulation I/O) or use any plc that the server can communicate with.
I assume you will be using the opc supplied dll's for the hmi client interface for example kepserver comes with a dll for use in VB,C etc.
Even if you intend to use the HMI as the route to configuring the I/O you could write it with the simulation I/O devices then change these to Mitsi when required, I know this will not help you with the real plc comms but that should be taken care of by the opc server (or are you going to write your own).
I wrote an application that fetched recipe data from an SQL database that then wrote the data to a Mitsi Q however I did not have a spare processor & ethernet card, I used the simulator in kepserver for the trial then when convinced it was working correctly connected to the plc & wrote the data to unsed addresses in the D area without any problems.