Laptop for plc and engineering programming

irondesk40

Wondering, which laptop is the best for programming with siemens, allen bradley, omron and other software packages?

I would suggest seeing if you can get one with an RS232 port built in.

I still find many uses/needs for RS232 communications.

You can get a USB to serial (RS232) adaptor but having it built in is one less piece of hardware you need to carry around.

irondesk, just search the topic mate it has been done before many times and you will be amazed the amount of differing opinions there are on which is the best.

There are several potential answers to this question. Having a native onboard RS232 port is a plus, but I'm not sure that's a realistic expectation of a new laptop anymore. I personally carry a port replicator with me and have better luck with that than USB-to-Serial adapters in general (they're not all created equal, but I've had the best luck with the Keyspan brand of USB-232 adapter).

I would pick a laptop based on these criteria:

1. Intel Core i7 processor
2. 500 GB Hard drive or more
3. 8 GB Ram or more

If you're going to have a whole bunch of different software packages all on the same machine, you're really going to want to use virtualization software like VMWare or VirtualBox. Not even all of the Allen-Bradley software plays together well, so having all kinds of different brands on the same Windows installation will not be pretty. So if you're going to do that (and you really should), then it's very important you have the horsepower to do it. I'm doing it on my laptop with 4 GB of ram right now and I'm barely getting by. You really need at least 8, 16 preferrably.

Are you going into the field a lot? If so, get a laptop with a solid state drive and save the virtual machines on a portable hard drive, loading them onto your laptop as needed.

There are several potential answers to this question. Having a native onboard RS232 port is a plus, but I'm not sure that's a realistic expectation of a new laptop anymore. I personally carry a port replicator with me and have better luck with that than USB-to-Serial adapters in general (they're not all created equal, but I've had the best luck with the Keyspan brand of USB-232 adapter).

I would pick a laptop based on these criteria:

1. Intel Core i7 processor
2. 500 GB Hard drive or more
3. 8 GB Ram or more

If you're going to have a whole bunch of different software packages all on the same machine, you're really going to want to use virtualization software like VMWare or VirtualBox. Not even all of the Allen-Bradley software plays together well, so having all kinds of different brands on the same Windows installation will not be pretty. So if you're going to do that (and you really should), then it's very important you have the horsepower to do it. I'm doing it on my laptop with 4 GB of ram right now and I'm barely getting by. You really need at least 8, 16 preferrably.

Are you going into the field a lot? If so, get a laptop with a solid state drive and save the virtual machines on a portable hard drive, loading them onto your laptop as needed.

I agree completely with all of this.

I don't think finding a real serial port on a modern laptop that does everything else you need it to is a realistic expectation anymore. I use a SerialGear USB-COMi-M converter that does 232/422/485 and works quite well.

Depending if you are leaving your office for on-site work, pick something that is a little more tough. Dust kills laptops...

Also, try to find the golden line between screen size, portability and battery life. For me size and battery are more important than portability.

Just to add, I personally like the 15 inch screen size. I've spent years lugging a 17-inch laptop out to the factory floor and it's just a pain. The 15 inch neighborhood seems to be the best compromise between screen size and portability IMO. If you're doing office work a lot, get a docking station and connect a pair of real monitors (22 inch plus) to it. Best of both worlds.

Best to get a workstation laptop. those are more high end and are suited for tougher situations. Most Laptop makers have them. I would also suggest getting VMWare and keeping the software vendors on different VMs.

You do not need serial ports as there are many converters out there. you do not even need ethernet ports (again becuase there are usb to ethernet converters) but its nice to have.

FactoryTalktotheHand has good suggestions.

Beware of SSDs. Probably best to get a combo of SSD and SATA or a hybrid.

thanks, currently looking at the dell E6440 with a 500 GB hybrid solid state drive.
currently here at work we have the Dell 5000 series and the one i use has held up pretty good, but the 6440 looks like a better unit.

Not an answer that gets you going short term, but virtualization has made management of different software vendors programming packages dramatically easier. If it's AB I grab my AB virtual machine (VM), Unity grab my Unity VM, etc. We maintain a library of VMs with numerous combinations, some specific to vendor platforms, some specific to our client's installs (i.e. Wonderware with AB for client A, Citect with Unity for client B, Citect with AB for client C, etc.)

Having been schlepping all sorts of PLC programming devices out to the shop floor or through airports for more than 35 years, I always get a chuckle when somebody complains about having to "lug a laptop".

I remember making a mobile cart, had a PC on the bottom with 17" monitor on the top shelf with a pull out key board and a 40ft cord to plug in ... man I thought it was the newest thing on the market

irondesk40, if you need cables I can help... lifetime replacement and the best prices on the market www.plccable.com

Mark (GiT)

Have you considered a Siemens PG?
That's what I use. My company bought several and all the Siemens software is loaded
Its a great laptop, not one of those cheap mail order

I have to vote with PLC for the Siemens PG.
The last one I had, had a real RS-232 port, two wired NICS plus a wireless NIC.
Plus all the other Siemens goodies.

Years ago I was doing startups on PLC-5 controlled lumber mills and was jealous of the guys who could just plug in at the HMI panel to a DH+ drop with their 1784-PCMK card. They were online at lightning-fast speeds and could observe the whole machine system while troubleshooting the program.

A PCMK wasn't in my budget, so I was sitting on a pile of cinder blocks in the MCC room connected to the serial port, then running back and forth to the machine.

I finally threw a fit about it and told them that if I had to keep running back and forth to the MCC room that I wasn't going to do the next one. They relented and agreed to buy me a 1784-PCMK.

In between startups I came home for just two days, over a weekend, and swung by the office on Sunday morning.

On my desk was a 200 foot serial cable and an Air Canada ticket.