Directly buried FO cables vs Cables running in Underground ducts

Charbel

Dear,

cables running in underground ducts offer several advantages (technically) over the ones running in directly buried such as FO cables running in underground FO ducts will be easier to pullout in case of a fault in the FO cables.

do you think of any other advantage? I am trying to convince client for this option.

thank you!

charbel

Isnt that enough reason ?
You dont say if it is soil or concrete.
For soil, you have to have special cables that are suitable for exposure to the environment so they would be more expensive anyway.
For concrete, well then you have a system that cannot be allowed to have a failure - ever.

Requirements change over time that nobody can predict. Perhaps they'll need more fiber strands in the future. Perhaps they'll need a different type of fiber in the future. Put it in conduit and changes become nearly trivial. Add a second unused conduit in your ditch while you're at it.

believe it or not,

fiber cables can and do go bad.
most of the time it is the ends, we re-terminate, we have 2 pair - dead.
Say you did do a direct burial cable with 3 pair.
3 years later, you need another 2 pair.
you incur the same costs again versus pulling a new set of fibers!
you also risk tearing up the existing fiber.
we run everything in conduit and it's paid off big time.

james