Another S5 problem

Rockford Bass

I am just in S5 hell this weekend I also need to re-program 2 communication co-processors in the same 135U rack as my memory full error was had in.

I have both a 6ES5530-3LA12 and a 6ES5525-3UA21

Looking around I see I need a utility called "com 525"
for the 525 module (anyone have this?) but I cannot find any info on what will program the 530?!?!

Also will this be done using the same RS232-TTY 20ma cable as step 5 uses to the laptop?

Damn I miss modern PLC's, I had no clue as to how complicated the old school logic controllers were.

You don't know what you don't know :(

Just tryin to not get sued thanks in advance...

P.S. I just learned the 525 is cmos eprom and not in need of programming. (Well thats one monkey off my back)

Last edited:
COM525 was for serial comms and COM535 was for Ethernet.

I recently moved to Canada from the UK, unfortunately some of the things I sacrificed were the complete manuals and disks for both.

edit:

taken from Siemens website
6ES5 530-3LA12 CP 530 communications processor for SINEC L1

L1 was early Siemens industrial ethernet

Last edited:
PeterW said:
Might be contradicting myself as its a long time ago, L2 may have been ethernet.

Peter L1 and L2 were serial communications using a sort of RS422/485. H1 was the early ethernet using coax cable

Ian

Thanks guys

Thanks for the answers but does anyone have information on what was/is/could be used to program the 6ES5530-3LA12.
What software and even what cable to use. Are the two 15 pin D-subs TTY current loop or are they something else?
An earlier, better equipped, smarter tech than myself left three files as a backup of this system. The files all have the .S5D extension but differ in name and size. My guess is that one is for the 928 one is for the 530 and one is to be loaded into the final 525. Anyone have any ideas?, besides running like hell, I thought of that one already.

The S5D's that I know of...

S5D's are created by 'S5 for windows', when you convert a Step5 program to S5 for windows it creates 3 files, similar to Step5 folders

1st will be the program file {{your_program}}.s5p
2nd will be then {{your_program}}.S5D
3rd will be the comment file {{your_program}}.SEQ

If you post it someone may be able to open it for you, post them all

Files I have

These are the files I mentioned earlier. I am hoping they are one for the 928 CPU, one for the 530 Com Processor, and one for the 525 Com Processor. I can import these files one at a time into TTI's S5 program and yes, if saving it does generate three files. But the S5D files each appear to be seperate different programs they will not combine. Hence my thinking they (the original 3 5SD files left as backups) must be for the 3 different processor units (praying rather)

Any help much welcome

Last edited:
Still not quite on target

I need a way to program the 530 co-processor I think the utility is called COM530 and it's been unavail since 1996 according to Siemens support site. Are the files I sent programs for a 928 CPU and then a seperate one for a 530 Com Coprocessor and another one for my 525 Com Coprocessor? I have three processors in this rack. I already have TTI's S5 software and can import those files I sent and yes if I save any one of them it does create 3 files. Are the 2 smaller files com co-processor files? If yes does anyone know what cable to use? Does anyone have Com530 (the program to program the 530 com co-processor)?

Your best bet is to call siemens and get a siemens technician 'together' with an old PG with the com 525 and com 530.

Com530 used to be the L1 or pre-profibus.If you know the configuration it must be possible to rebuild the system .The com530 processor must also be connected to another PLC with similar com530 processor .Just a guess but if the 525 is on an eprom then maybe the 530 also .If the com530 is not working it could be another component ( like the 777 module , normaly the cable from the COM530 goes to a 777 connector )

btw the com530 package I used to have was only for PG670 on a floppy and worked under PCPM.

the com files end with xyz.530 and xyz.525

Eric

Last edited:
You can still purchase COM530 from Siemens as a download: COM530 V2.2

Note that this is a STEP5 'extension' application which cannot be run as stand-alone software.

Thanks guys

That sounds like my que to bow out on this job. I have spoken with the customer and explained the hens teeth nature of the required software, cabling and expertise required to make the desired changes to their system. They are now trying to contact the original team of germans who set this system up some years past. Even if I could get the software and stuff I am not knowlegable enough in what to do with it to be of any use.

Thanks for all who tried, there is just no helping some people...

The files in your zip are all .s5d files.
This is for the PLC only.

The COM525 program would have the extension .525 and the COM530 file would have the extension .530
(ie: name.525 & name.530 name being the name of the file/program)

I still have a copy of the COM525 software somewhere if interested?

That sounds like my que to bow out on this job. I have spoken with the customer and explained the hens teeth nature of the required software, cabling and expertise required to make the desired changes to their system. They are now trying to contact the original team of germans who set this system up some years past. Even if I could get the software and stuff I am not knowlegable enough in what to do with it to be of any use.

Thanks for all who tried, there is just no helping some people...

This is the sensible choice when dealing with old cr@p from years ago.

Let some other sucker have the pain or let the customer find someone old enough to remember dealing with it.