Red Lion Kadet G304K

amigo

I want to buy one of these to play around, but since Kadet series is relatively new, I wanted to get some opinions about this series from actual users.
How are the feature sets and reliability?

I'll let others give you their opinions, but I'll say something on two issues of fact: The Kadet hardware is, as many have pointed out, rather similar to hardware sold by a number of other vendors, and thus has a solid record behind it, and the software is our C2 software we've been selling for (perhaps too many!) years.

Crimson2 has always worked on Vista as long as I can recall, but for months the Kadets didn't show up to select as a new project. This was a confirmed known issue http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=45498&highlight=kadet. This precluded me from spec'ing and buying these as this end user had Vista PCs and though I expected Vista support at any time, I didn't think it was prudent to assume that it would be there when I (actually he) needed it. You know assume: <a**> out of <u> and <me> and all that. I had to buy 4 of someone elses, when I would prefer RL but couldn't justify the cost of the G3 (though they were definitely prefered).

But I just got to my vista machine and it does work now. This is build 492F.

The Kadets have always worked on Vista, but due to how Vista handles ini files, we all thought they didn't. The problem only exists for users that installed C2 prior to the Kadets being available. At some point, Vista copies the oem.ini file from the Crimson 2.0 directory to a local user directory. Uninstalling and reinstalling does not correct the problem, as the file never gets copied by Vista since it already exists.

The file exists in the C:\Users\(Account name) directory, but what we have found online does not match the location on our Vista machine. Searching for oem.ini in that directory will point you to the file. From there, you can copy the one from the Crimson 2.0 folder into the User folder location, and the Kadets will be selectable.

We are trying to figure out how to get the C2 install to fix this automatically, to avoid the need to do this when new hardware is released.

Regards,
Dan