Simple position detection

dbozic

Lifetime Supporting Member
We are doing a project of rotational mixer and I need a bestbuy solution for stopping the motor on a certain position. On the shaft there is located container and we must stop the mixer with the container cover lid on the upper side.
As the tolerance is high i believe, I am looking for the simple solution but also it would be good that the overmiss is not great. The shaft its self is rotating when on Max speed at 90 rpm.
As cheapest for now i think maybe welding the piece of material to the shaft and detecting it in each pass. Maybe inductive proximity switch for this?
When the timer expires, drive slowes down until it detects the object when in stops completely.
Also the sensor should be ATEX rated.
As we would put simple PLC and panel for easier operation, maybe there is another solution?

Any experience with something similiar, solution proposals for the task?

Thanks!

I suspect your prox switch idea would work fine, but that will depend to some extent on what materials are in the mixer. A mixer implies a dirty environment so the PE would probably need cleaning often. A prox should be OK as long as there is no iron in the mixer contents.

Another method 'seeing as you are using an inverter is to use 2 proxys a distance apart.
Use the first to set a memory relay and the second to reset it.

When it is time to stop, depending on whether the relay is set or not, use this information to slow the inverter to a crawl until it gets to the second one (final position)

Iv'e simplified it but it's the general idea - you will have to use timers too in case the mixer is already too close to the second proxy and doesn't have time to slow down.
In that case it will then do one more revolution.

use counter

1st count for normal speed - 1st preset

count up change to 2nd preset low speed,until reach the inductive then stop

Thank you all for ideas! Yes, I think one proxy switch would be ok. When mixing time expires I would set a small timer to be sure that axis slows down to low enough speed and than shutdown drive when proximity switch detects object.

A larger diameter prox will have more +/- play. Use 8-12mm with extended distance.
Use a collar on the shaft. Replace setscrew with a steel screw. Socket head works best.

use a servo drive with a fast latch registration. when the registration is detected, you can perform a fly.