Turbine flowmeter

dbozic

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello,

I dont have much experience with turbine type of flowmeter.
We have purchased the GEMU 3021 type flowmeter and we would like to use it for dosing purposes.
We have Allen Bradley 1756-IB32 digital input card over which we would like to count the pulses from the flowmeter.
Is this possible with this type of flowmeter, anyone have any experience? It is stated that it has frequency/pulse and current output.
I only have experience with elmagnetic flowmeters where I can choose between frequency and pulse, and where you can parametrize the pulse time etc.
I see this is not the case with this one.

Flowmeter data/manual: https://www.gemu-group.com/gemu-cdn/dokumente/1/ba_3021_de_gb.pdf

Bought flowmeter has totalizer function.

From the PDF file, the flowmeter has a Frequency output at pin 3 of X2.
If the output frequency of the meter is higher than the max frequency of the digital input card, you must use a high speed digital input.

From the PDF file, the flowmeter has a Frequency output at pin 3 of X2.
If the output frequency of the meter is higher than the max frequency of the digital input card, you must use a high speed digital input.

Hi nonuke,

Thank you for your reply.
Isn't the frequency output a sine-wave signal whose frequency is proportional to the flow rate (I have understand that this is the case)?
Also the terminal X2 has connections for(I-/f-, GND, signal output). I do not know what signal output means in this.

No. The frequency output is an ON/OFF pulse. In this case I think it is 1 pulse/lt.
As you mentioned before, there are meters were you can program the output frequency: 0.1,1,10,100 pulses/lit.
The pulse output usually is a PNP transistor that you connect to the PLC digital input.

No. The frequency output is an ON/OFF pulse. In this case I think it is 1 pulse/lt.
As you mentioned before, there are meters were you can program the output frequency: 0.1,1,10,100 pulses/lit.
The pulse output usually is a PNP transistor that you connect to the PLC digital input.

So if I understand correctly if you connect this pin X2:3 (frequency output) to PLC digital input it will work as pulse output? I see you can lower the number of pulses per litre.
Does the PLC detect this pulse, because I do not see a possibility to change the width of the pulse as in more advanced flowmeters.
Do we need some sort of signal converter?

Like I wrote before:
If the output frequency of the meter is higher than the max frequency of the digital input card, you must use a high speed digital input. If the frequency is too high, you need a high speed digital input or you can buy a converter to scale the frequency down. Pr Electronics has this type of converters. In this type of meters you can't change the ON/OFF time of the pulse. The ON time is short and the OFF time is long.