S7-300 communication with central PC

dbozic

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi,

I need to connect two systems (now independent) for data acquisition purposes via Wincc v7.0 software. One system (CPU-315 DP) is already connected with the PC via CP5611 processor.
Now I need to integrate the CPU-317 DP to the existing PC. My opinion is maybe go with the network cable solution and buy the communication processor for CPU317 DP for connecting to ethernet. Do i need only ETHERNET CP for the PLC or I need something for the PC? I have been looking at [FONT=&quot]6GK7343-1CX10-0XE0 [/FONT],is this good enough for connecting the CPU on the PC via unmanaged PC switch?
This solution seems good for me because I would not need to make changes to existing program, and because of the new comfort panels from Siemens it is easier to make software in TIA portal, as the older system is made in Simatic Manager.

I did not had experience in Wincc7.0 so every help I can get is good.

Thank you!

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Any regular Ethernet card or integrated port in the PC can be used.
You dont need a special Siemens ethernet card for regular comms with a Siemens PLC.

Thank you very much Jesper.

I needed confirmation to be sure. Thanks for the reassurance!

Thank you for the reply!

Just to confirm i need regular network card(which every PC has..) and the appropriate driver(which comes installed with the software).

I was confused about this:

https://mall.industry.siemens.com/mall/en/WW/Catalog/Products/10045082

But this is the same as every other network card if I am not mistaken.

I think Siemens has the special Ethernet cards because they have the communications driver built in, and can therefore take the overhead off of the CPU of the PC. I think this allows for the potential of more connections, but this is probably a product that is kept around more for historical reasons than anything else. CPUs don't need the help anymore, but I'm sure they did when they were older and Ethernet to PLCs was a new thing.

I think Siemens has the special Ethernet cards because they have the communications driver built in, and can therefore take the overhead off of the CPU of the PC. I think this allows for the potential of more connections, but this is probably a product that is kept around more for historical reasons than anything else. CPUs don't need the help anymore, but I'm sure they did when they were older and Ethernet to PLCs was a new thing.

Yes, I think I have read more than 8 connections or something like that. Thanks for the effort and clarification!