Money is no object!

There you go, that's what they are REALLY saying. They want you to get on with it, because they already KNOW the cost of waiting.

I just had one where a 500HP VFD blew up and they "shopped" for one and found it from a vendor shipping from Brazil for $15k less than I had told them. They ordered it, then found out it didn't come with an Ethernet port and the adapter was going to take a week longer; the one I quoted was Ethernet ready and drop-in compatible. Then I said "Are they going to integrate it into your control system for you? 'Cus I'm not..."

They gave me the PO, because they were losing $100k/day while that drive was down.
Sooo ... they are losing $100K per day and they don't have a backup system??? That's a new level of stupid!!

Sooo ... they are losing $100K per day and they don't have a backup system??? That's a new level of stupid!!

Management would rather worry about it than take a cut in bonuses to solve this kind of issue.

Imagine a 13 year old business class low grade desktop computer meant for typical office functions being used to run an HMI that controls the entire plant floor with no backup and the software being too old to run on new hardware.

Imagine a 13 year old business class low grade desktop computer meant for typical office functions being used to run an HMI that controls the entire plant floor with no backup and the software being too old to run on new hardware.

I am picturing it. It has a CRT and the screensaver asks in scrolling red text what I want to do today. Yes, in my imagination 1997 is 14 years ago..

We quoted the spares when we built it, they decided against it. It follows that old adage about leading a horse to water.

It was stupid of them not to get spares (particularly for the computer side of a system), but I've seen plenty of times where companies put out a spares list that is almost a disassembled machine. No regard given to probability of failure and easiness of replacing/upgrading and even quantity, so it looks more like an attempt of selling overpriced parts that no one even thought a bit of.
This being said, apart from certain systems, they should have done their homework and get the parts from the cheapest vendor, just in case.

Windows 2K Pro on a 1997 machine hehe.

Got one of those here...only a matter of time.

Had an old Windows NT system go out in '15. Shut down an entire department for several days.

IT Department: "Why don't we use our off-the-shelf computers? They cost so much less!"

Pi

Earlier this year I was a few months at a maintenance department at a heat/power plant.

A computer broke down, it was using XP and some old software that wasn't possible to get anymore. And even if, there was no way of getting the license. They had no backups or anything. This made it impossible for them to run a 90MW heat + 40MW electric power waste fueled CFB boiler. Lots of money lost there.

I managed though to recreate the information on the harddrive and clone it, put new drive in and voila! 12 hours downtime..

I think I told this true story before... long long time ago in this other company I worked for. We chartered 2 plane in 2 days to run a $10 capacitor over from the midwest US to the West Coast.