ac and dc wiring together

MNJ96

Lifetime Supporting Member
guys

i have a control panel that is using 2.5 inch wire duct . the components that were purchased and specified and the available panel space . the ac and dc wiring will have to be in the same duct and run parrell to each other any suggestions

General rule of thumb is to seperate the potential differences by several means.(cross at 90's), do not run parallel AC and DC, etc. But in reality, you will find AC and DC mixed up all over in most panels that I have been in. The only thing that saves you is the correct colour code that your country and laws enforce.
There are suppliers that provide duct isolators, such as Panduit for one,

First, I make a disctinction between DC discrete I/O wiring and DC analog wiring. The analog is much more sensitive to EMI/RFI from the AC wiring. We have even had contractors run DC discrete and AC wiring in the same conduit and not experienced any problems.

We usually run two wire ducts side by side, one for AC and one for DC/Analog. We use a single cover over both. This is good practice, but in point of fact I'm guessing the incremental protection and noise reduction is minimal. After all, there is only fractions of an inch separating the terminal blocks on the PLC I/O cards!

If it is only control wiring there should not be an issue. Even small DOL starter loads and soft starters up to 45 kW do not cause me a problem.

We have only had problems with machines where digital lines to counters/plcs (from encoders/ photosensors) have been run alongside inverter outputs to a motor. This creates major havoc with counting systems!

Benjo said:
We have only had problems with machines where digital lines to counters/plcs (from encoders/ photosensors) have been run alongside inverter outputs to a motor. This creates major havoc with counting systems!

It will with any digital lines if they're run together long enough.

AS A RULE--VFD wiring should not be run with any voltages less than 120. On our conveyor systems we run separate pipes for control and motor wiring.