Scheduling a DeviceNet on CompactLogix bus

ettikudiappan

Hi

I have 2 machines from the same vendor, but one was received a few years before the other. The newest machine, allows me to schedule a DeviceNet network using DH485 PIC driver and the older one doesnt allow me to do so.

The Older Machine setup is as follows

1) Controller is 1769-L30/A 5330, Revision 11.27
CH1 configured as DH485
2) DeviceNet module is 1769-SDN
3) CH1 of controller connected to AIC+, 1761-NET-AIC Ser B
4) PC with PIC driver configured is connected to AIC+ module

The Newer Machine setup is exactly same as older machine except we are using 1769-L31 5331 controller, Rev 13.15

Using the new machine, I can browse to the backplane and expand the SDN card to reach the Devicenet network to schedule it using RsNetworx.

Using the older machine, I can only browse upto the Devicenet scanner module but not to the network.

Is there a simple way (Firmware upgrade etc) to enable me to use the existing hardware to schedule the older machine. Else I need to buy 1784-PCID card for my PC and 1787-PCABL cable to connect to the Devicenet network.

Hope someone can help.

etti

You are correct. The first-generation CompactLogix controllers (the 1769-L20 and -L30) did not support networking passthrough to the 1769-SDN.

All the second-generation CompactLogix, including the 1769-L31, L32E,- L32C, -L35E, and -L35C, as well as do the third-generation -L43 and -L45 controllers support full network bridging.

You need a 1770-KFD module or 1784-PCD module to directly access the DeviceNet, or browse through another Logix network interface to access the network.