OEE on siemens S7 machine

surfandkite

Hi,

first of all I'm new to PLC's and want to check if I am proceding in the correct way. We have in our plant a production cell which make tractor components and we want to increase it efficiency (OEE). So what we want to monitor is actual run-time of the machine and log all stops into an oracle database. Ok for so far our wishlist.

The cell consists out of 3 machines all running on a siemens S7-300 plc with a 840D operator panel (connected to the plc by means of a serial cable I think this is called MPI, correct?) The 840D panels also have an ethernetport and we used this to hook up these machines to our intranet.

The next step of course is to be able to monitor the actual machine status. I've been reading arround and I guess that we need to use OPC server for siemens MPI which need to be installed on every machine (is this correct?)

Next step is to get an opc Client which can capture the required data into our oracle database.

Is this the correct way of handeling this problem?

Where can i download SIMATIC NET to try to install this.

Is there a risk in installing an opc server on the machines (if a do something wrong will the machine still operate?)

Any responce would be appreciated.

Thanks

An OPC server is a piece of software that is installed on a PC. It is not installed on the machines (on the PLC or the operator panels (*).
You only need to install an OPC server on ONE PC if that PC is supposed to log data from all 3 machines. It can be the same PC as the PC that has the OPC client and Oracle database.

*: An operator panel CAN use OPC, but thats a different story.

You need to investigate exactly what CPU type and online connections are used at the moment.
If the onboard MPI port is allready in use with the 840D, and/or if the distance of the entire MPI network is greater than 50 meters, then I do not recommend to use the MPI connection for this.

The easiest would be to install an Ethernet CP in each PLC, and install an Ethernet OPC server on the PC. Siemens has "lean" models of both that are not so expensive (6GK7343-1CX00-0XE0 and 6GK1704-1LW61-3AA0).

Come back with more info and I can help you more.