What is required to send a file to a Panel View HMI?

Steve Bailey

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
The boondocks of Western Massachusetts USA
A sister facility of a client of mine just received a revised file for a Panel View HMI from one of their OEMs. They don't have Panelbuilder32 nor do I, but they don't actually need to open or edit the file. All they need to do is download it to their HMI. Is Panelbuilder32 required for this or is there a way to transfer application files without having the screen development software? I don't know which specific Panelview model they have or what version of Panelbuider32 was used to create the application file.

If the file sent is a .pva (panelview terminal file) then it is ready for use by the Panelview standard. Getting it from email to the panelview can be done with a transfer utility (software) or with a memory card (my preference).

What type of memory card required may depend on the age of the panelview and what firmware it is running.

In most cases a CF card in a PCMCIA adapter will work as long as it is formatted FAT16.

I will try to find some links with more detailed instructions later.

Paul

Memory Cards:
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=62994&highlight=ata+memory+card

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=27523&highlight=ata+memory+card

After further reading, I found out that the transfer utility is shipped with PanelBuilder32 (programming software for Panelview Standard), so contrary to what I thought, there isn't a separate free transfer utility.

Last edited:
I think PanelBuilder32 is still needed to load the revised program..Because there are necessary configurations that is needed to be done.

Like the communication of the HMI to the PLC..for Allen-Bradley if DH485 is used in Micrologix, DH485 must also be configured in the HMI. (Like speaking to each other using the same language).

@Christine1914, PB32 isn't needed... OkiePC method is right, you may just use a memory card (if the file is .pva, of course). The file itself contains all the needed infos and configs.

@bornwild, USB isn't an option for Panelview Standard.

- fuzzy logic