I/O Link Anybody?

PLC Pie Guy

Hey all.

I'm wonder what everybody uses for IO Link when using AB PLCs....

I have never used any of this stuff but I'm looking at the Balluff stuff for a new project.

I'm curious what brand of I/O link will best and most cleanly integrate with my Compact Logix PLCs.

Any comments for or against any particular brand??

Thanks

We use I/O link on almost every machine and robot EAOT we build using AB Compactlogix controllers. I prefer Balluff I/O link products because the data table layout is very good and they have good AOI's. Balluff also has the most extensive product line.We have been using IFM I/O link blocks and the data table layout is not optimal and the AOI's are not the best, but they do work reliably. They are pretty new to the I/O link game and are still developing their product line. We are using them because of price.

+1 to Robobob. We've used IFM/Keyence/Balluff. Balluff seems to be leading the way with the IOLink functionality. I have a system right in front of me with IOLink RFID and one of their new IOLink Light Stacks. Easy to setup, AOI's are pretty straight forward, had to make one call to support because their AOI for the RFID unit I'm using wasn't labelled as such on the site. Once I got the right AOI it fired right up.

Great. That's what I hoped.. I had the Balluff guys in here this morning and I liked the products they had.

Ill give them a try.

Thanks folks!

My colleagues down the hall torture-tested the Baluff IO-Link products for Fiat-Chrysler plants, for integration with ControlLogix. But that division of the company hires fresh graduates and deploys them broadly, so the actual engineers are long-gone and I never learned about the Baluff gear.

On our side of the building we use the IFM AL1120 series, and we get a fantastic price on them. We'll probably put all of our IOLink sensors on those in the future instead of using analog or IOLink modules in a POINT I/O chassis.

I've been tempted but disappointed with Festo's implementation of IO-Link. They have a sort of "IOLink 1.0 but we call it something else and it's not really compatible with anything but our stuff".

We use the Festo FB36 EtherNet/IP adapters to CPX valve and I/O assemblies extensively so I would use IOLink products if they had them.

My colleagues down the hall torture-tested the Baluff IO-Link products for Fiat-Chrysler plants, for integration with ControlLogix. But that division of the company hires fresh graduates and deploys them broadly, so the actual engineers are long-gone and I never learned about the Baluff gear.

On our side of the building we use the IFM AL1120 series, and we get a fantastic price on them. We'll probably put all of our IOLink sensors on those in the future instead of using analog or IOLink modules in a POINT I/O chassis.

I've been tempted but disappointed with Festo's implementation of IO-Link. They have a sort of "IOLink 1.0 but we call it something else and it's not really compatible with anything but our stuff".

We use the Festo FB36 EtherNet/IP adapters to CPX valve and I/O assemblies extensively so I would use IOLink products if they had them.

Sorry to hijack - quick question...does Festo CPX have IO-Link modules? If they don't they should. I was looking at using the Festo IO in CPX, then I discovered IO-Link.

I have used IOLink on a lot of projects for sensors and IO. I've tried the Balluff BNI006A Masters, the IFM AL series masters, and also the Rockwell 1732 Masters. I feel like the Rockwell implementation is the strongest, as everything can be done via the Studio5k software over CIP, while other implementations require going onto the local network of the machine and opening a webpage(Balluff) or a webapp(IFM).

Also remember, that IOLink can be commanded via both implicit(Regular IO) and explicit communication(Messages). These are different memory locations in the IOLink devices. Depending on your usage, you can utilize a lot of advanced functionality.

Regards,
-PreLC

I've only used IO-Link once, and I used the 1734 (Point IO) master. Fairly straightforward, however you cannot use them direct in an e.g. 1769-L16ER, you must use an AENT(R), and that must be Series C.

the only time I have used IO Link I picked the IFM devices since they have already ready to download examples, addons and code reade to paste into the PLC programm for each of their devices that use IO Link, also they have a generic instruction to use with devices from other brands (I had to add a SMC manifold)

When I tried with balluf and banner it was hell and nothing was achieved, maybe some other people had the patience

One of our clients uses the IFM AL1920's extensively, and from what I gather are quite happy with them. My colleague has played with them onsite but I've not personally got any hands-on time with them yet.