Connecting to a Yaskawa MP920 PLC

technolog

Lifetime Supporting Member
We have a tube bender that appears to have an issue with its Yaskawa MP920 PLC. It appears that we need Yaskawa's MPE720 programming software. Can anyone offer any advice on which version of the software we need and what operating system etc. it requires? Also what is the part number of the required programming cable or the pinout thereof.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

photo_2022-06-24_09-50-35.jpg photo_2022-06-24_09-50-57.jpg

Yes, you should contact Yaskawa America, they are usually very good with help.

The software is called MotionWorks 5, it is pretty ugly, runs on Windows and, if you do not have a copy of the original PLC code, there will be no comments in the PLC, just bare addresses.

You will also need a serial cable to connect to this PLC; Yaskawa can advise.

Thanks guys.

Yaskawa got back to me and told me I needed the MPE720 software and JEPMC-W5311-03-E. My local distributor has quoted for both. At a combined cost of close to $1,000, I'm concerned that I actually get the version that I need.

The Yaskawa website says the MotionWorks software is currently at revision v3.7.3. Above, LadderLogic said I needed MotionWorks 5 - is this an old version? Does the part number MPE720 ensure that I get the right software for this old MP920 controller?

Do you have the source code? Don't confuse Motionworks(which you need) with MotionworksIEC(which is what is on the website). Completely different packages. There are different versions of MPE720. I have used v4 through v7. Not sure if your MP920 is limited to any specific version.