SLC 150 error - blast from the past

Akbrewer

Hi,
I have an old SLC 150 processor that is throwing up a CPU Fault light. I have an EEprom program chip for it, but I can't get it to load up the program or reset or even get back into RUN mode per instructions I've found in the book and online in forums.

Using the PT1 handheld programmer I immediately get a SLC-E10 fault which in the book says it's a communication, EEprom, or hardware fault (just about anything really). Oddly, I can't clear this fault code from the PT1 by selecting the CANCEL CMD button per the instructions, my keypad doesn't do anything and seems locked up by this alarm code. So I'm afraid the PLC may be truly dead. Anything else I can try to get it back into run mode?

Then at some point I'd like to upgrade this processor to a newer version, but I only have the program stored on the EEPROM and have never had a copy of the program. How would I go about downloading off of the PLC to get a copy of the program? I'm sure there's some expensive AllenBradley communication device I need and don't have :)

Thanks as always for any ideas. I also wanted to add that my machine is currently down and desperate to get it back online this week until I can figure something out. Just to be safe I've ordered a used processor online that I found.

Last edited:
you will need a dos base pc, pcis software, software manual, and programming cable.
the software will work on an xp system.
i cannot remember if i still have my cable or not.
i will have to go through my drives to find the software and manual.
please pm me as a reminder. just getting off work.
james

you will need a dos base pc, pcis software, software manual, and programming cable.
the software will work on an xp system.

Noooo.... back in the day you did but not necessary, for the past 10ish years , James surprised you never ran across one of the threads about it, you can use a Windows 10 or 7 PC, the PCIS software is free

I sell a USB version of the cable... if you scroll down on this page you will find the manual and all the software links you will need

https://www.plccable.com/allen-bradley-plc-slc-100-150-usb-1745-pcc-cable/

Best of luck

If you cannot connect with the hand controller, then I doubt you will be able to connect with the software, you might be best buying a second hand unit and using your EEPROM in that and then use the software to retrieve the program.

Thanks for the help!

Appreciate the help and suggestions, I'll wait until my replacement SLC150 shows up to get me going again using the EEprom chip I have. Next plan is to hopefully recover the program off of it and convert to a newer processor program for next time. Thanks for the suggestion on the updated USB PLC communication cable, I found that online and will be buying one to recover the program off the PLC.

Cheers!