Starting an emergency generator

Plc_User

A colleage works as electrician in a hospital. They are changing their emergency generator (diesel engine). The diesel engine is started automatically if the normal electrical power goes down. Are there special modules to check reliably the presence of the normal power and that activate the diesel generator is power goes down?
Thanks.

That's usually done with a transfer switch. There should be a "power fail" contact available. You can detect that with a digital input. Typically the generator control and start is done outside the PLC, and the PLC is used for breaker control.

I did some of these installations from the PLC side, 8 seconds to start!

tomalbright said:
That's usually done with a transfer switch. There should be a "power fail" contact available. You can detect that with a digital input. Typically the generator control and start is done outside the PLC, and the PLC is used for breaker control.

I did some of these installations from the PLC side, 8 seconds to start!

IF I had anything to say about a standby generator in a hospital which is a definite life safety critical piece of equipment for sure
1. I would have reliable automatic controls.
2. I would have manual override with a synch scope to be able to parallel or pick up a dead bus (properly isolated from utility).
To switch bus back to utility would require paralleling for say 30 second and shift load off diesel.

Have seen a case where an emergency diesel did not start - someone unplugged the battery charger. IF my hospital I would have separate battery banks (or air banks in case of air starters) just to make dang sure I can get generation.

Dan Bentler
Dan Bentler

1. What do the drawings indicate?

2. Is there a PM program on this equipment? In our facilities, we have a monthly PM to "test" the generator.

In a hospital scenario, I would definitly want to KNOW if this equipment was functional and reliably operate.

Oakley said:
1. What do the drawings indicate?

2. Is there a PM program on this equipment? In our facilities, we have a monthly PM to "test" the generator.

In a hospital scenario, I would definitly want to KNOW if this equipment was functional and reliably operate.

Oakley,

Myself I am not involved in hospital electricity, but what is a
'PM program'. Are there official guidlines for this kind of applications?
Thanks