OT: Cordless Drill Motors

geniusintraining

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
So its time I get a couple new ones, Dewalt has a DCD708C2 its a compact cordless 20v, we normally have two setup when building and have two different bits in them and swap back and forth, we dont need a hammer feature but I do like the two speeds even though 99% of the time its in high speed.

Anyone use the compact brushless? or have their brand they like better Milwaukee, Makita or Bosch?

Milwaukee is my choice. Their Fuel model is advertised to have more torque than their corded model.

But think bigger than just the brand of drill motor. Look at the entire line of cordless tools & standardize. Less batteries, chargers, & accessories to buy.

But think bigger than just the brand of drill motor.

I dont care what the brand is, I have been using Black and Decker for years on these, I have a couple 24v dewalts that I use in other places but here I was thinking about going light, like the Milwaukee Fuel but its at a upward angle and we do a lot of drilling flat down on a bench about waist high so that puts it at awkward angle and I think a standard 90 deg would be best

I dont need a large battery because I will get spares, but I like the large base on the bottom so the drill can stand upright, some of the smaller ones have a cylinder battery and they need to lay down when you have a long bit in it.

I may end up going back to B&D... they have a small 20v that maybe good

So its time I get a couple new ones, Dewalt has a DCD708C2 its a compact cordless 20v, we normally have two setup when building and have two different bits in them and swap back and forth, we dont need a hammer feature but I do like the two speeds even though 99% of the time its in high speed.

Anyone use the compact brushless? or have their brand they like better Milwaukee, Makita or Bosch?

I have used:
- black and desker - last one was a 14.4V (old) and I thought it lasted OK. But the battery was NiCd and the charger ... was ... challenged? The battery was always warm if I left it in the charger.
- Dewalt - it was next at 18V and is still .. sort of .. operating. The battery management is not great and leaving it on the charger kills it, leaving it in the drill kills it, and leaving it sitting on the bench kills it. I won't be getting another one.
- Son-in-law has Makita ... not sure on the voltage. 18? 20? Good battery life. Battery does not discharge when on the charger, in the drill, or on the bench. He loves it and the other dozen tools that the batteries fit.
- I have Milwaukee Fuel now. 18V Good battery life. Same comments as Makita for not discharging in the drill, or on the charger, or on the bench. I am up to 8 tools with 4 batteries and 2 chargers. I've never run out of juice while working on a project.

FYI,

I think Dewalt is Black & Decker.

Steve

Sorry for the double post, the site crashed on me.

I have been using Dewalt for years
I think they are all brush type motors at least I haven't run into any brushless motors on any brand yet.
FYI Black & Decker owns Dewalt it their industrial line of power tools they also picked up Craftsman from Sears as well an many other brands

I bought a dewalt for my new job years ago and burnt it up.
drilled a pilot hole for a 3/8" drill in a 1/4" thick tube, no issue.
burnt it up drilling the 3/8" hole. swapped if tor a Milwaukee and haven't looked back. after 30+ years, I just burnt up my Milwaukee 7 1/4" circular saw. looking for new brushes.

james

Years back I bought my son a Sears 18V cordless drill that had impressive power anda good battery life. I think it outperformed the Dewalts of today.

I also had a Harbor Freight 18V - had to let the battery cool down after charging before use (2 hours) then would run as much as you wanted it to and was powerful. But the next morning the battery would be completely drained even if not used 1 minute.

I have 2 Dewalt drill/impact setups with a few spare batteries and can go a couple weeks on a single charge. Now, the Dewalt 20V reciprocating saw, however, will drain a fully charged battery in a few minutes.

OMG... one is yellow and the other is red, how can you explain that then if they are the same company :p (just kidding)

Thanks to everyone for the input

Well B&D is orange in my country but anyway, mentioning this or that brand owns this or that other brand doesn't mean anything. it's the same as the blue line bosch equipment. Yes they CAN make good stuff. that doesn't mean they do that on all their products (meaning the green line in this case).

oh, we aren't impressed either on the bosch/rexroth stuff but that's another story :D

Another rule I developed about cordless tools:

Never buy any cordless tool if the name starts with 'R'

R*an, R*obi, R*gid all the same not-even-homeowners use.

it's the same as the blue line bosch equipment. Yes they CAN make good stuff. that doesn't mean they do that on all their products (meaning the green line in this case).

Even the blue line is split into various levels of quality in the same voltage range.
eg dynamic range , robust range etc.