IFM AL1343 IO-Link master with Modbus TCP interface

theColonel26

Lifetime Supporting Member
I just got an IFM AL1343 IO-Link master with Modbus TCP interface

From the manual this thing seems to have a Web Interface(http) for view its status.

According to the manual the IP for the Modbus TCP Ethernet interface is 192.168.1.250 so I sent my Laptop interface to 192.168.1.99. I try to ping it, get nothing, I try to go to the web interface http://192.168.1.250 times out. So ok maybe that interface literally only supports Modbus and no other protocal.

So there is an IoT Ethernet interface. The Manual says it is set to DHCP by default. I don't have a network available where I am at (hotel currently) where I have an ethernet connection availvble with a DHCP server.

The manual seems to indicated that if it can't get an address from a DHCP server then it will default to a random one in the 169.254.1.1 to 169.254.254.254 range. Make sense that is standard behavior for most interfaces with DHCP enabled.

Problem is that is 64,516 possible addresses. I tried running advanced IP Scanner but it took like 15 minutes just to scan the first 2,500.... That's like 6 hours if my mental math is correct to scan all of it.

Any Ideas?

ooooooooh 🍻 good idea, didn't think of that.

Ok So what I just got doing was, I found a Program that will act as a DHCP server on your computer. (there are plenty of other but this one seems intended as a temporary one for stuff like this.

http://www.dhcpserver.de/cms/

That got me going

Then my IFM rep got back to me rather quickly on a Sunday no less, and pointed out that IFM has a utility for assigning these IP addresses called well "Ethernet Device Configuration"

(a rather unimaginative name) so I used that to set a static IP.

Our IFM rep (Alex Caddell) is awesome BTW, and I am really loving the build quality of IFM hardware so far.

Last edited:
IFM are great, orange is my favourite colour. I much prefer their website to the blinking flashing "click here now" of some other PLC sites. It is only the top of the page, so whenever I use this Website, I close my eyes for 1sec until the page is loaded, and blindly scroll half a page before opening them again.