Windows 7 and Rockwell Software

This is becoming a bigger and bigger issue for me because the corporate overlords have mandated windows 7 and have banned XP and technically we're not supposed to use XP mode or any virtualization software.

Windows 7 came out over 2 years ago, and vista came out over 4. Rockwell really needs to get their act together.

It seems to work well. No issues noticed so far.;)

I installed RSLinx 2.58, RSLogix 5000 V19.01 and RSLogix 500 V8.40. I connected to a SLC 5/05 over serial using a 9300-USBS (Prolific) and then over Ethernet.

RSLinx works well and I found WIn7 drivers for the 9300-USBS at KB116794.

I don't have a Logix processor that I can put V19 firmware on to connect to at the office, but I expect no problems based on how well it went with the SLC.

Again, this is using a Dell Precision M6600 64 bit with Win7 Ultimate SP1. Hope this helps you guys. I know I've been looking for someone who could tell me if this would work without needing XP mode for everything. I will need it for some things, but hope to minimize that.

Update 9/6/11: Since posting, I have used RSLogix 5000 online with no issues. I had three instances of it running and was connected with three CompactLogix L32E's at once doing online edits.

Also, I have since installed the latest version of RSLogix 5 (V7.40) and spent a couple days last week with an old 5/30 with Ethernet sidecar doing downloads and online edits, again with no issues. Note that you need to install the patch detailed in KB183859 on Rockwell's support site.

Only problem I have now is that I need to buy new USB cables to replace my old PCMK related stuff for DH+ and DH485. The new laptop has an ExpressCard slot, but not the old PCMCIA slot I was expecting.

There is no driver support for the AB PCMCIA cards in Windows 7 anyhow. The slot wouldn't do you any good :)

It would be nice if A-B would offer an ExpressCard that would work with the same cables we used with the PCMK, but that would probably cost more than the USB cables.šŸ™ƒ

It's either pony up for the new cables or continue to lug the old laptop and cables around which will eventually lead to more issues with keeping the old laptop up to date.