OT Simulate CT Signal

rkicklighter

Kinda off topic but does anyone know of an easy way, simulator, etc. to simulate a 5 amp 3-phase CT signal into a power meter?

I know they exist, just can't find one. Getting ramped up for a monster factory acceptance test and they would like to see these new meters in their full glory.

Anyone know of a simulator?

TIA

Connect a small motor.
Then loop the motor leads multiple times through the CTs.
If you need to make a 1A motor appear as a 20A motor, loop the leads through 20 times.

Thanks Jesper, already floated that idea but it sank. EHS won't allow it (who knows) and the customer wants to see 3-phase signals.

Originally I was going to install 3 CTs in a 480 3-ph panel and run wiring in conduit back to the testing stands in my FAT lab. EHS shot that down too.

EHS won't allow it (who knows)
With what reason ? Looping the leads through CTs multiple times to adapt to the measuring range is a standard technique. We use it in permanent installations if the application call for it. Does EHS realise how transformers work ?

and the customer wants to see 3-phase signals.
Yes, I assumed you would connect all 3 phases that way.
edit: 3 times one phase through one CT, looped as many times as needed.

contact your local power company. they may have a test bench to test meters.
I know my power company does.

contact the vendor who made the meters. they have to proof test them to ensure calibration and operation.

james

Am I to understand that if there is a meter that is intended to measure in the 200 kW range, then they want 200 kW ?

A sub-supplier of mine has a power tester that consists of banks of resistors that can be activated in various combinations, so you can test 5-10-15 ... 480-485-490-495-500 kW.
It is a massive cabinet with fans and ventilation openings. Is that what you are after ?

Am I to understand that if there is a meter that is intended to measure in the 200 kW range, then they want 200 kW ?

A sub-supplier of mine has a power tester that consists of banks of resistors that can be activated in various combinations, so you can test 5-10-15 ... 480-485-490-495-500 kW.
It is a massive cabinet with fans and ventilation openings. Is that what you are after ?

That's a loadbank by the sounds of it, i think he's after something to test the secondary side of 0-5A input to the meter itself

Thanks all! No, I don't need a load bank, just a 3-ph current simulator. Jesper, don't get me started on EHS!

A cohort of mine knows someone who has access to a Megger SMRT46 unit. We are going to try it out in a couple of weeks when I'm back in the lab to see if it will do what we need. If it works, going to see about buying one. All this testing has to be done 7 more times over the next 4 to six years.

Thanks!