Level Sensor recommendations.

HoldenC

Im looking for a level indicator for a bin that store solid. The solids are belted in, and I would like to be able to have a display show how full the bin is.

The bin is round, with a diameter of about 20ft, and about 30ft in height. It doesnt have to be extremely accurate.

Needs something to run on 4-20ma.

Im sorry if I left out any information.

Ah, the deceptively difficult analog level sensing of bulk solids.
Radar and ultrasonics are sensitive to dust.
They measure fine when you are not lading material into the silo. When you load the material and need the analog signal, it becomes unreliable.
Is the material dusty ?

You might check out Flowline. They deal mostly with liquid level sensors, but they do have a range of dry pulse radar level sensors that can handle heavy dust conditions. This link will take you to their product page. They have been incredibly reliable for us in some incredibly caustic and corrosive conditions.

You might check out Flowline. They deal mostly with liquid level sensors, but they do have a range of dry pulse radar level sensors that can handle heavy dust conditions. This link will take you to their product page. They have been incredibly reliable for us in some incredibly caustic and corrosive conditions.
Be aware that if you look at the LR36, LR41 and LR46 sensors, that they are rated for "minimal dust", "moderate dust" and "significant dust" respectively. I guess it will affect the pricing as well.

Be aware that if you look at the LR36, LR41 and LR46 sensors, that they are rated for "minimal dust", "moderate dust" and "significant dust" respectively. I guess it will affect the pricing as well.

It does, they are not cheap. The site shows the pricing for those devices on the page.

Another way is to glue one or more straingauges on the legs that support the bin.
Then use a straingate transmitter to provide the signal.
It will require a bit of manual calibration. Also the legs must support only the bin.
Will be less expensive than radar, but requires more effort.

I haven't used the E+H radar, but the ultrasonic transmitters have worked great for me. If the radar is similar to set up and use, that's what I would probably go with. We've also used VEGA level switches and sensors, check out their level sensor page and sort by bulk solids measurement, something there might work for you. They also have a new Bluetooth configuration package that I hear works very well.

I've had limited success with ultrasonics but fabulous success with the high frequency 78GHz Siemens LR560 radar, which is 'tuned' for solids.

https://w3app.siemens.com/mcms/info...heet SITRANS LR560/sitransl_lr560_fi01_en.pdf

Never install any radar in the center of a domed top. Angles of repose are always a challenge; it's the nature of solids.

Figure a radar has to have some angled adjustment to best match the angle of repose.

Similar to what Jesper is proposing: is it an option to install the bin on load cells? There are plenty of digital and analog weighing devices available.