Defeating the ScreenSaver in a PanelView 600

gbradley

Lifetime Supporting Member
I like the ScreenSaver option if for no other reason than just to display a Logo.
Except when the machine is running in Automatic Mode.
If the Machine is running in Auto Mode, I don’t want the screen saver to turn on.

I couldn't find an option to disable the Screen save option on a particular screen.

I noticed that by changing the screens with the control tag, it restarts the internal timer the same as if somebody presses a key.
So my solution was this:
In the PLC I have a Timer that runs when the machine is in Auto Mode.
This timer is set to a smaller number than the Panelview Timeout setting,
When the PLC timer is done, I momentarily switch to a different screen, and then switch back again to the original screen which starts the internal timer in the HMI again.
The Screen that I switch to is virtually a carbon copy of the other screen so it’s transparent to the operator.

Was there an easier way to do this?

I found out that you can use the PLC to change screens and still allow Goto Screen Selectors.
I mistakenly thought that you could do either one or the other.
Another tip with the screen control is that the if the tags value is anything other than 0, then the PLC has control, but if the tags value is 0, then the PV has control of screen changes (allowing you to still use GOTO buttons in the PV).

In other words, what you want to do is write the value to the screen change tag, wait for the screen change, then write a zero to the screen change tag.

Have fun!
Thanks to Norm I also know how to give control back to the Panelview.
I use SYMBOLS to label the addresses in the N file for the Currently displayed screen and the PLC requested screen as SCREEN_DISP and SCREEN_REQ respectively. Then I put the following line in my program

-+-- EQU ----------+-----[OSR]-------------------+--MOV--------+---
| SCREEN_REQ | | 0 |
| SCREEN_DISP | | SCREEN_REQ |
+-----------------+ +-------------+.

So, whenever you use the PLC to request a screen change, and the screen actually comes up, this rung will plop a zero into the screen request register so your programmed screen goto buttons still work for the operator.