Replacing touch display on Panel View Plus 1000

NemanjaN

Hello all,

I have to replace a display module for Panel View Plus 1000.
The existing module is 2711P-RDT10C (series A rev F), and when I looked it up I got this information:

"[FONT=&quot]This display changed from Ser B to Ser C as a result of a change in the backlight from CCFL to LED. If this is a replacement, new firmware will need to be downloaded from Rockwell Website and installed on the terminal, prior to changing the display Series."

[/FONT]Can someone give me an advice on how to do the replacement, because i have never done it before. The existing program should not be changed.

Thanks![FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Thanks for reply! And do we need to update the firmware on the PLC also or only on the panel is ok?

The PLC firmware or application will not need any changes.

Chapter 8 of the manual states that you back-up the .MER runtime files before firmware upgrade. After upgrading it states that you restore the .MER file(s) you backed up. You will need to reconfigure the terminal start-up options, communication settings etc., that you must record before the firmware update.

Sorry to bother you, but I have one more question, and it is something which is probably basic, but I am new at this so I don't know that kind of stuff.
How can I find out to which firmware version we need to upgrade the panel for this kind of change (from series A display to C)? We don't know at this point which is the current firmware on the existing panel, but can we see somewhere what is the firmware version needed for the changed panel to work correctly? :confused:

While we are waiting for daba to finish his latest reply, can you give us the complete catalog number for the entire assembled terminal?

Can you tell us what is wrong with the existing CCFL Series A 2711P-RDT10C Display Module that you need to replace the entire module?

Regards,
George

The PVP: 2711P-T10C4D1, Ser: A, Rev: F
Logic module: 2711P-RP1, Ser: E, Rev: C
Display module: 2711P-RDT10C, Ser: A, Rev:F

Those are the the catalog numbers that are on the back of the panel.
We don't know what is the problem, they only said that they want to change only display and that's it. Then we asked for the panel code, and they sent us a photo of the back of the panel, from where we saw the catalog numbers.
Our boss is in contact with them and he asked us if we can do it, and we have to find out what has to be done, but we have never done that before.
When the sales guy wanted to see in the program he has, if they have that panel on stock, the information that my colleague wrote in the first post popped up (that the firmware has to be changed - only series C display can be ordered).

Sorry to bother you, but I have one more question, and it is something which is probably basic, but I am new at this so I don't know that kind of stuff.
How can I find out to which firmware version we need to upgrade the panel for this kind of change (from series A display to C)? We don't know at this point which is the current firmware on the existing panel, but can we see somewhere what is the firmware version needed for the changed panel to work correctly? :confused:

I cannot find information on the PanelView Plus firmware revisions, and the downloads section of the website doesn't list them either.

This is probably because they have been superseded by the PanelView Plus 6, and more recently the PanelView Plus 7.

I think you will have to contact your most local RA distributor or even RA themselves for help on this, they should be able to tell you what firmware you need for the display module you are fitting.

Your current firmware revision will be clearly labelled on the Logic Module, the display module doesn't have firmware, but as you already know the firmware does need to be updated to work with a replacement display that is series C or later.

Before you go to RA...

I have more info. I just needed details on what you have first and why you need to replace the entire display module.

I now know the "what" but I still don't know the "why".

The reason I'm asking is that if it's just the display module Backlight that's gone then you can replace just the Backlight...

PanelView Plus 1000 Series A Replacement Backlight: 2711P-RL10C

Or the lesser display module Bezel (outer fascia)...

PanelView Plus 1000 Touch Replacement Bezel: 2711P-RBT10

2711P-T10C4D1:

2711P = PanelView Plus
T = Touch
10 = 10 inch
C = Colour
4 = Ethernet, RS-232, USB
D = DC
1 = 64MB Logic Module

I now know for certain it is not a PanelView Plus 6 terminal.

OK...

Your Series A 2711P-RDT10C display module has a CCFL backlight (Cold Cathode Flourescent) and is supported up as far as terminal Firmware Revision Number (FRN) 5.10.10.

To install the new Series C 2711P-RDT10C LED display module you will need to flash the terminal to firmware revision 5.10.11, or higher. This FRN introduced support for the new LED display modules. The latest, and possibly last FRN released and currently available for these terminals is FRN 5.10.16. This is what I recommend you to flash to.

You can download that here...

Search PCDC for PanelView Plus

Scroll down and select "PanelView Plus 700-1500" and then select 5.10.16 from the list of available FRN.

Be careful with the FRN that is on the logic module sticker. It is often the case that someone may have previously flashed a newer, or different FRN than the sticker might suggest. It may be what it is currently using, but you can be more certain...

If you want to know what the terminal's current FRN is then you can do one of two things...

If the current "faulty" display permits...

You can access "Configuration Mode" on the terminal and go to...

Terminal Settings>System Information>About FactoryTalk View ME Station

This should display the current terminal FRN.

Or you can use the Firmware Upgrade Wizard (FUW) to connect to the terminal and begin the firmware upgrade, only stepping through the process until the current terminal's FRN is displayed in the FUW. You can then cancel out of the process.

Even if the current application is of an older version, say 4.x, it will still work with a newer FRN. If you/they do not already have one, then a backup copy the existing application on the terminal should be made prior to flashing the new FRN. Else it will be wiped from memory. This application can then be copied back onto the terminal after the flash and it should run OK.

A bit of a rush through things there but you get the gist?

If you need any further help with some of the steps then shoot.

Regards,
George

George, thanks a lot for your help! You explained everything with many details, and it is really helpful. Thanks also for making time to write all of this :)
We will find out what is the problem with the display, and see if the whole module has to be replaced or not, and then we will do what is needed. I hope we will manage to do everything correctly.
Thanks again 🍻