computer programming langauges Slightly (OT)

dlmidget

I want to venture into the world of computer based programming. I am a rookie engineering tech. I understand ladder logic in plcs but know nothing of script stlye programming like BASIC FORTRAN or C. I am hoping you guys know which style I should plan to tackle first and maybe which ones I would possibly see the most. I beleive VB is very common but am not sure that is the best place to start.

Just looking for a good starting point.

I think any type of BASIC would be good. VB or VB.net will be the most common classes you could take to get started. Another good thing to learn would be VBA (visual basic for applications) and VB script. VBA is often used in Excel and Access for macros and some HMI's will use this for advanced functions. VB script is starting to be popular in the Siemens HMI world. Still others will use C++ or some type of C for these functions. Most college programming will start with basic and move up to C++.

FORTRAN is essentially dead, so that's not a starting point :)

Visual Basic, VB.Net, Java, and C# would probably be the best programming languages to begin with. They are all fairly easy to program in, and will get you in the hang of structuring programs, without having to manage memory or deal with more esoteric concepts.

For most programs, they will all work fine. If lower level programming is required, or some fancier stuff, move to C++.

If you do go to C++, get a good RECENT book on it (one that covers in depth the Standard Template Library (STL)).

VB.net is a good place too start.

rdrast said:
FORTRAN is essentially dead, so that's not a starting point :)

For PCs yes (never was a factor) but for minis or mainframes its still heavily used. Decades of routines developed, refined and debugged represents a wealth of code that is used time and time again. Cobol too.

My only use of Fortran & Cobol was to boost my grade point average; However as jstolaruk stated they are still in wide use. Cobol is primarily used for accounting/financial applications and Fortran is more orintated towards the scientific community. It's my understanding that SQL is kind of an off-shute of Cobol. I dont think you'll run into either in the automation field, but it wouldnt hurt to have a working knowledge of them, just in case.

I would definitely take a course at your nearest community college to get yourself started.

Vb.net or C#.net are good choices. They are pretty much identical. That is what I use in our factory.

Alot of people also like Borland's Delphi. Very similar to VB, but more PASCAL like.

Java is used alot in web and business programming.

Choose what you think you will use.

Also, when working with data it is good to become familiar with SQL commands used to query databases.

I would also suggest getting into the PC Based control world. Steeplechase VLC from Phoenix Contact is really basic and uses Flowchart programming. I'm not a really good programmer and it was super easy to use. It also uses xml for data transfer to excel and stuff.

Not sure if thats what you were looking for but there ya go anyway.

You can get VB.NET, C#, C++, SQL 2005 Express, for free from Microsoft. I downloaded them the other day. May not be full function, but is a good starting point, pretty much everything I need is in there.

just_lionel said:
You can get VB.NET, C#, C++, SQL 2005 Express, for free from Microsoft. I downloaded them the other day. May not be full function, but is a good starting point, pretty much everything I need is in there.

The free Express edition is fully functional, though you need to DL the SDK's seperately. VS 2005 Express will be free until November 6, 2006. Here is a link to it's page:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/default.aspx

Thanks for the info. I am planning to take a class at my community college but they offer VISUAL BASIC and C++. Are these much different than C# or VB.net?

I am a rookie engineering tech.
This proves that you have to read very closely what someone states, I saw engineer and "assumed" that you had some college background but this does not appear to be the case....BTW did you know you misspelled North in your profile?

VB.net is Microsoft's latest version of Visual Basic.

This link may help http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualCsharp/default.aspx

You can download Visual Studio Express and its free for one year
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/

Last edited: