AB Servos with Yaskawa motors

phuz

I'm stepping outside my wheelhouse a bit. Can AB Kinetix servos be used with other servo motors (in this case, Yaskawa). I'm looking at a controls upgrade and we want to rip out the old Yaskawa servos and replace them with Kinetix. Ideally we would replace the motors, but cost may become a factor in swapping all of them.

No, that is not possible. Yaskawa uses proprietary encoders, so in general, the motors only work with Yaskawa drives. I would stay with Yaskawa. Once you start replacing motors, the project usually becomes much bigger. Often leads to new mounts, couplers, gearheads, etc. Depending on the motor, you could replace the old drives with new Sigma Logic drives. They use add on instructions to make it easy to use with Logix 5000.